Smerky210

Hatching
Mar 8, 2023
Virginia
We got our first egg today! It was either an Orpington or Barred Rock who laid it, but it really doesn’t matter to me. My question is whether or not I have to switch to layer feed if 1/7 hens is laying and whether or not to introduce oyster shell. I have grit in their run at all times, does oyster shell have to be separate from grit, or is it instead of grit? They’re all 24 weeks (DOB 6/7)

Attachments

• IMG_3289.jpeg
    IMG_3289.jpeg
    396.8 KB · Views: 105
I have grit in their run at all times, does oyster shell have to be separate from grit, or is it instead of grit?
Oyster shell is for calcium, grit is for digestion, not interchangeable. Best to have them in separate containers so the birds know what they're taking in, instead of having to pick around for what they need.

Congrats on that first egg! It's always a big event.

I have 2 separate containers for grit and calcium available 24/7. I switch over to layer feed when all, or almost all, the hens are laying eggs. After you get that first egg, you could plan on transitioning to layer feed when your current feed bag is empty.

Or, just keep feeding an all flock feed, with those separate dishes of grit and oyster shell.

Depending on where you live and what you pay for feed. My local Fleet store charges $3.00 more per 50# bag for the All Flock Feed compared to the same brand Layer Feed. Since all my chickens are laying at the same time, I switch to layer feed when I can to save money. Even so, I still have additional small feeders for grit and calcium if they need it. They don't eat much of that stuff, so I only refill them maybe once every 3 months.

Back
Top Bottom