Oyster shell question

Baileybunchx5

Songster
Mar 1, 2023
Maryland
My girls are 17 weeks. RIR, Barred Rocks, speckled Sussex, and Orpingtons. I have them on starter feed still. No one has laid yet. Is it ok to put oyster shells out for them at this age? I know they say when they are laying but I assume they need them when they are getting ready to lay?

Attachments

• 607A0ACD-19F3-41B4-BC4C-9C72A8DD6B45.jpeg
    607A0ACD-19F3-41B4-BC4C-9C72A8DD6B45.jpeg
    1,001.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 8014ED36-04B7-4FEA-BD95-E70B86922D0A.jpeg
    8014ED36-04B7-4FEA-BD95-E70B86922D0A.jpeg
    357.3 KB · Views: 7
Chickens explore the world with their beaks. Of course they are eating it. Its new. Don't panic. Roosters do the same thing. They will quikly determine whether they need it or not, then stop eating it if they don't.

Chickens are quite good at regulating their calcium intake, when given the choice.
That’s what I was thinking as well. Thank you

I find that the young pullets peck at it...., kinda playing, like poking with a finger. The laying hens don't do that. They guzzle it, even if only briefly.
What kind of container do you like to use for your oyster shells? I just have a very small stainless steel bowl hanging on the hardware fence right now. I dont think that is going to be big enough

What kind of container do you like to use for your oyster shells? I just have a very small stainless steel bowl hanging on the hardware fence right now. I dont think that is going to be big enough
I have a wooden trough attached to the side of the coop for one flock, and for the other I have an old cooking pot with fairly low sides.

I use a small (3kg) hanging feeder in the secure run near the food and water. Pictured below. It holds enough shell grit to keep 10-20 chickens going for many months, and they are unable to flick it out.

Attachments

• images (63).jpeg
    images (63).jpeg
    10.4 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom