Does pasty butt kill so quickly?

Sorry you lost one....Just a tip....Others will disagree....Wetting Chicks feed is not a good idea, either is feeding egg without Grit......wetting Chick starter can cause impacted crop....
Also when animals die they let go of their bowls...I dont think pasty butt was the cause of the Chick passing......
Best of luck....:)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Sorry you lost one....Just a tip....Others will disagree....Wetting Chicks feed is not a good idea, either is feeding egg without Grit......wetting Chick starter can cause impacted crop....
Also when animals die they let go of their bowls...I dont think pasty butt was the cause of the Chick passing......
Best of luck....
smile.png

Cheers!

Oh my goodness! I didn't even think to ask if she was mixing grit with the food! I don't offer my little ones anything other than chick starter crumbles for the first few days, and I kind of "salt" it with chick grit. After that I slowly introduce live meal worms and then a little fresh cut grass.

Did they have grit?

Best of luck....:)

Cheers!

Oh my goodness! I didn't even think to ask if she was mixing grit with the food! I don't offer my little ones anything other than chick starter crumbles for the first few days, and I kind of "salt" it with chick grit. After that I slowly introduce live meal worms and then a little fresh cut grass. 

Did they have grit?

As a rule you dont mix the grit into the feed...It should be given free choice.....Not sure if any grit was provided......

Cheers!

As a rule you dont mix the grit into the feed...It should be given free choice.....Not sure if any grit was provided......

Cheers!

I have always done it this way, and I have never had a chick who died suddenly or had any issues with impacted crop, so this is how I will continue to do it. In my opinion, providing chick grit free choice in a separate bowl means it's going to be knocked over and useless in less than 2 minutes.
smile.png

Cheers!

I have always done it this way, and I have never had a chick who died suddenly or had any issues with impacted crop, so this is how I will continue to do it. In my opinion, providing chick grit free choice in a separate bowl means it's going to be knocked over and useless in less than 2 minutes. :)

Experience goes a long way....No need to question...Just leave a reply....

Anyways.....lol..;)

Cheers!

Last edited:
I am confused now. I have read in a lot of places and posts that feeding boiled egg yolk doesn't require grit. It was just a crumbled boiled egg yolk a day mixed in to feed all the 18 chicks, half yolk in the morning and half in the evening for ALL chicks. It said it was OK to give egg yolk even in my hatchery instructions, and it didn't mention grit.

About the wet chick starter I asked in several posts and thought it was OK to give. I even know several people fermenting the chick starter and giving it wet. My hatchery's instructions also mentioned moistening the food, but only if the chicks arrived stressed. I was feeding it because I had a weak chick, but since all chicks were crazy for it, I gave it to all.

After reading about benefits of fermented food, I have started a batch of fermented chick starter, should I avoid giving it then? Can it cause impacted crop too? If my chick died from impacted crop wouldn't I have noticed swelling? I saw pictures of chicks with impacted crops and the swelling was pretty noticeable.Also, wouldn't all chicks have been affected? I would hate it if I caused harm to this poor chick!

Last edited:
I am confused now. I have read in a lot of places and posts that feeding boiled egg yolk doesn't require grit. It was just a crumbled boiled egg yolk a day mixed in to feed all the 18 chicks, half yolk in the morning and half in the evening for ALL chicks. It said it was OK to give egg yolk even in my hatchery instructions, and it didn't mention grit.

About the wet chick starter I asked in several posts and thought it was OK to give. I even know several people fermenting the chick starter and giving it wet. My hatchery's instructions also mentioned moistening the food, but only if the chicks arrived stressed. I was feeding it because I had a weak chick, but since all chicks were crazy for it, I gave it to all.

I have started a batch of fermented chick starter, should I avoid giving it then? Can it cause impacted crop too? If my chick died from impacted crop wouldn't I have noticed swelling? I saw pictures of chicks with impacted crops and the swelling was pretty noticeable.Also, wouldn't all chicks have been affected? I would hate it if I caused harm to this poor chick!

Wet chick feed is fine. IMO.
I have always served "wet*" feed to my 1 day old chicks. (*Fermented feed)
I don't see how one egg yolk mixed with their feed could possible hurt 18 chicks in any way.
I do not think an "impacted crop" was the cause of death.

Quote: KG, I agree with you completely.

alessadry: You are going to hear a lot of things here on BYC, and even at your local feed store that are total nonsense. When you hear something that does not make sense, seek advice from several reliable sources, and then, make your own decision based on your educated research.

Wet feed is perfectly fine. Fermented feed is even better. If you dish up some wet feed, and let it sit for a day or two in the hot sun, or a warm brooder, there is a chance that it could sour, or get moldy. Fermented feed is not likely to do so, because it is cultured with beneficial bacteria and yeast. If it sits for a while, it will simply grow stronger in it's culture.

Egg yolk, even whole egg is perfectly fine, and does not require grit. It is not a fibrous food. It is very soft, and will slide right on through the digestive tract just like their prepared chick starter will, whether that starter is dry, moistened, or fermented.

I do prefer to give egg to my chicks separate from their FF. That way, if they don't eat a crumble of egg, (not likely to happen) it is more apt to dry out. If it dries out, it is not as much of a bacteria magnet. Just my personal preference.

The notion that feeding wet feed will cause crop impaction simply does not hold water. (pun intended) When chicks eat dry feed, they also drink water. Guess what that water does when it reaches a crop full of dry or even moistened feed! The crop is a very elastic digestive organ. It is designed to accommodate any swelling that might occur when water mixes with dry or wet feed.

Fermented feed is even better for your chicks than wet feed. It is loaded with beneficial bacteria and yeast. Those microscopic organisms: break down the antinutrients in the grains to make them easier to digest. Populate the chick's gut with beneficial organisms (probiotics) which enhance digestion, as well as help build the immune system. Studies have shown that chickens who eat FF have more, and longer villi in their intestines. Those villi are the means by which the nutrients are absorbed on a molecular level from the intestines to be circulated through the blood stream. A gut that is well poplulated with beneficial organisms is crucial for a healthy immune system. A gut that is well populated with BO will keep disease pathogens in check, including cocci. A chicken with a healthy immune system is not as prone to infection with internal or external parasites.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom