Does peroxide increase hatch rate?

Kennas_Kritters

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Polk City, FL
My Coop
My Coop
I am going to try my first incubator soon! I have heard that praying eggs with a peroxide/water solution can increase hatch rate. Is this because it simply kills germs on the shell surface? Are there some other things that I can spray on them to increase the hatch rate? Any info helps! I just want to have the most success I can possibly have. :)

From what I understand, the process of sanitizing hatching eggs with hydrogen peroxide has a patent on it, and a lot of hatcheries use it. I have never tried it myself, but would be curious to in the future. It does remove the protective coating on the outside of the eggs, so you must disinfect the inside of the incubator and always handle the eggs with clean hands.

I've tried both without and spraying with and never noticed a difference in my hatch rates. I don't think a gentle mist of peroxide would hurt or remove the bloom as long as you weren't wiping them afterwards, but I've been wrong before.
I'm guessing, then, that it would only make a noticeable difference if the number of eggs being incubated was very large.

From what I understand, the process of sanitizing hatching eggs with hydrogen peroxide has a patent on it, and a lot of hatcheries use it. I have never tried it myself, but would be curious to in the future. It does remove the protective coating on the outside of the eggs, so you must disinfect the inside of the incubator and always handle the eggs with clean hands.
I just read the patent on that process last night, they have many protocols from spraying before storage, to misting for 30 solid minutes before lockdown. They said they were surprised at the increase in embryo viability in almost all application methods.
The person who shared the patent had been using 1.5% dilution but the patent called for a 3-7% solution averaging 5%.
I'm definitely going to give it a try the next time I'm setting eggs, especially since it's been super wet here for the past few weeks. So many muddy eggs!

Maybe you could experiment...Mark and spray half?
Hmm. I might do that! That would be 11 eggs sprayed and 11 not sprayed. I have gathered like 4 or 5 eggs that will hatch sex links and the rest of the 22 eggs will hatch EE chicks. :) I have a hatch-a-long thread that I'll be posting all kinds of stuff in so I will post updates on this experiment there!

Maybe you could experiment...Mark and spray half?

I just read the patent on that process last night, they have many protocols from spraying before storage, to misting for 30 solid minutes before lockdown. They said they were surprised at the increase in embryo viability in almost all application methods.
The person who shared the patent had been using 1.5% dilution but the patent called for a 3-7% solution averaging 5%.
I'm definitely going to give it a try the next time I'm setting eggs, especially since it's been super wet here for the past few weeks. So many muddy eggs!

Hmm. I might do that! That would be 11 eggs sprayed and 11 not sprayed. I have gathered like 4 or 5 eggs that will hatch sex links and the rest of the 22 eggs will hatch EE chicks. :) I have a hatch-a-long thread that I'll be posting all kinds of stuff in so I will post updates on this experiment there!
I did this for a Bio experiment! I set 12 Mille Fleur d'Uccle eggs, half dipped in HP and half not, and only 2 developed, one of each kind. The one dipped in HP hatched a smaller, slightly weaker chick than the other.

Back
Top Bottom