Does regular fecal test at vets cover all chicken things?

Country4ever

Songster
12 Years
Oct 26, 2007
Once a year, I test a composite stool of my hens at the vet's office. Will that test cover everything that chicken's might have?
I didn't know if there was something funky about chickens that would require a stool test beyond what the vet normally does for other animals.
I just feel that this makes more sense than subjecting a flock of chickens to heavy-duty dewormers, if we're not completely sure they're infected.
Thanks.

Yer wastin yer money. Vets for chickens usually ain`t worth the powder to put them outta their misery. If you don`t see anything suspicious, don`t worry about them. To answer your question, most times, if one has it, they all do...........Pop

Hi Pop,
Oh I know vets don't know much about chickens.....but the test they run for worms hopefully is reliable for chickens too.
I have some hens that seem to have alot of diarrhea right now, but it might just be from them revving up to lay.

I would pay the few extra bucks and ask your vet to send it to a lab for a zinc float. I'm a tech, and run lots of in house fecals. The method they use in the lab is way more sensitive than the method we use for our in house samples.

Back
Top Bottom