How long after abx does diarrhea stop

Breevdb

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2023
Hi! My chicken, Pepper has had diarrhea for 3 weeks. I took her to the vet. Fecal test negative. Was given 5 days of Tylosin. It has been 2 days since antibiotics were completed. Her diarrhea is less watery but still runny. Should it have resolved by now? The vet is recommending X-ray ($400) and cultures ($200) but I don't know if there is something else I could try before those tests.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Australorp, 1.5 years, losing weight, currently 1.8
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Acting normal, eating and drinking regularly. Not laying but all my chicks are molting so none are laying eggs
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 3 weeks
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No, she is the only one with diarrhea
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No idea.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Yes, eating and drinking regularly.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Runny brown and green at this time. Prior to antibiotic administration it was projectile, watery, clear
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Tylosin in water
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I want to help pepper gain weight again
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Snapchat-669278634.jpg

She needs probiotics after the antibiotic treatment.

Some things I've used for high probiotic is fermented feed, Hydro Hen in their water, sugar-free Greek Yogurt, and/or ACV w/ mother 1 tablespoon per gallon in their water. For the water products, make that their only water for an entire day, then skip a day and do fresh water, repeat.

I just started hydro hen this morning. I will stop and grab some acv or Greek yogurt now. Thank you so much for your advice.

Update:

The girls loved the yogurt and have been getting hydro hen as well. Pepper's diarrhea has resolved.

We are so thankful for your advice!

Screenshot_20231029-110132~2.png

Back
Top Bottom