Does rooster in barn w/livestock need a brooder box or house? COLD out

dreamchicks

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 26, 2010
Hi All,

New to the board so I hope this is an ok place to post this question. I have a rooster that needs a home and he's been raised in my little backyard coop with lots of hens and getting shut up tight and warm at night (no heat lamps, just lots of chickens). A livestock farmer has offered to take my small rooster, but he plans to have him sleep in the barn with the livestock. No coop or anything just lots of straw. We live in WI so I am worried about cold weather and predators. I am thinking of asking the farmer to take my other small rooster as well so at least they have each other to cuddle with. Otherwise, should I tell him something else about needing a coop or house or something? Thanks!

Roosters are HARD to find homes for, especially if you don't want them to end up in someone's soup pot. If the barn is fairly tight, I think the rooster would do fine. I'm skeptical that the two roosters would cuddle unless they're extremely buddy-buddy right now...JMO.

I have 2 rooster living in a somewhat open but sheltered cow barn. They have lots of options to nest in or roost on round bales in hay mangers ect... but prefer the sides of the milking stalls. They are doing just fine and roost side by side at night. With the absence of hens they will like each others company.

I'm in a milder climate but have a BR hen who won't roost with the others. She sleeps on a cement mixer, about a foot off the ground, in a semi-protected area next to the barn. I also have three from this year's hatch that insist on roosting in a birch tree. Apparently they keep warm enough
idunno.gif
I'd think as long as it's draft free he should be okay. But hey, it never hurts to try to get rid of another roo!

If he has a draft free place to roost, he'll be fine. Roosters have been surviving in barn/farm type envifronments since their domestication.
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom