Does she have mites??

JosieMae

Chirping
Jun 22, 2017
Bellevue, WA
Hi all,

these are the feet of my 3y/o polish hen Bubbles. I’ve never had a problem with mites, but I didn’t even know they were a thing until recently. The scales on Bubbles legs have been raised for awhile, but they don’t have the crustiness which seems to go along with scaly leg mites (at least in the pictures I’ve seen). Does it look like normal chicken legs or scaly leg mites? (Her coop mate Tequilas legs look fine).
0F413B25-439F-41CD-8CF5-57CA4A091868.jpeg
FDDA59B5-1BE6-4E80-A8D2-1CBB191BE79A.jpeg
36B3CE83-B975-4928-A7B2-AC8F6E7C0389.jpeg

I would treat her for SLM. Slather petroleum jelly on her legs every few days for a few weeks until the scales go back down.
When you see those pictures of the crusty raised scales, you are seeing pictures of advanced cases that went un-noticed and/or left un treated.

I would treat her for SLM. Slather petroleum jelly on her legs every few days for a few weeks until the scales go back down.
When you see those pictures of the crusty raised scales, you are seeing pictures of advanced cases that went un-noticed and/or left un treated.
Is it really that easy lol? I’ve read different articles with some saying just petroleum jelly and others saying you have to soak their feet everyday and then sanitize the entire coop! Sheesh what a headache 🤕

Is it really that easy lol? I’ve read different articles with some saying just petroleum jelly and others saying you have to soak their feet everyday and then sanitize the entire coop! Sheesh what a headache 🤕
SLM live on the birds, not in the coop.
You can also buy a product called LiceFreee. I use it on my SF Rooster because of his feathered legs. It works great. When I saw the slightest bit of raised scales, I saturated his legs with the spray twice a week 2 or three weeks.

I would use petroleum jelly repeatedly, otherwise you can try dipping/brushing their legs in/with oil if that’s more convenient for you. They can also be treated with ivermectin if preferred but petroleum jelly is a cheap, simple method. I’m in the UK and we can also buy sprays to use (but they have the same effect of smothering the mites anyway).

Back
Top Bottom