1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

does she know what she is doing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rorie, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Rorie

Rorie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    One of our hens (less than one year old) plucked her chest and started to sit in the egg box a lot. We left her eggs and she seemed to be getting ready to sit. So we seperated her from the others and gave her a small coop. But she didnt like it and would sit as close to the fence where the others were as she could.....in the rain and snow! So i felt sorry for her so moved her and her eggs back.

Now a different hen (also the same age) has also plucked and is now sitting on the eggs! She is in there a lot, not laying anymore. But when ever i go out, she comes running out the coop with the others to see me/the treats i bring. When i feel the eggs they are always warm.

So, question is, does she know what she is doing? I thought they wouldnt leave the eggs more than once a day...but she doesnt seem that committed...... but as i say, the eggs are always warm.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    First time broodies will sometimes not be as committed as they should be.

Are the eggs fertile? Is so, let them sit and see what happens!

I had a couple of first time broody Icelandic hens this year and they were really great mothers.

3. Rorie

Rorie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Yeh the eggs are fertile.

She was sitting on them lots today which is good when teh others were out and about.

I guess its ok to leave her just now as the others are not bothering her?

Will the eggs still develop properly if she is not on them as much as she should be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by