Does she look like a rooster?

May 6, 2023
So my babies are 9 days old. they are black australorps. Lily, the one in the first picture is 79 grams and her sisters are 55 grams. Lily also does not have any tail feathers starting and the other 3 girls do have tail feathers. Does Lily look like she may be a rooster? from the research I have done, the lack of tail feathers says yes. I have not had a rooster before. She is so much bigger than her sisters and more bold as well. stands up straight. The place I bought her from guarantees hens, but will not exchange her until she is at least a month old. That is too long. They will be 4 weeks and I do not see how I can integrate a new hen at that age with these girls. So I will have to keep her/him regardless. Next they will have to be integrated with my 2 year old hens.

Attachments

• image2389.jpg
    image2389.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 17
  • image2391.jpg
    image2391.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 7
  • image2393.jpg
    image2393.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 7
The place I bought her from guarantees hens, but will not exchange her until she is at least a month old. That is too long. They will be 4 weeks and I do not see how I can integrate a new hen at that age with these girls. So I will have to keep her/him regardless.
You could consider a DNA test from somewhere like this:
https://iqbirdtesting.com/
If the chick is female, you can stop worrying.
If the chick is male, maybe ask if they will exchange at a younger age with a DNA test result. (They might say no, but you don't have much to lose by asking.)

I am guessing their "at least a month" rule is because they want to be able to easily see that the chick actually is a male, but I can see how that is a problem for you as well.

Back
Top Bottom