Does she look like she’s ready to lay?

Jayteetee

Chirping
Jan 21, 2024
This is our red Ancona chicken. She’s about 18 weeks. Does she look like she’s ready to lay?
9F05E3AB-9262-416C-BE90-0FCC2F41C417.jpeg

This is our red Ancona chicken. She’s about 18 weeks. Does she look like she’s ready to lay? View attachment 3749393
Probably not yet. Her whole face should turn much more red when she is ready to lay (comb, wattles, skin by the eyes, etc).

I would expect the comb & wattles to get bigger as well as getting more red (as big as the ones in adult hens of her breed), but the color is a bigger indicator than the size.

I am estimating 4-6 more weeks. Does she squat for you? Or for a rooster, if so - about two weeks after that. About a month after they redden up hard. FOREVER if you are waiting.

About the time, you have given up all hope, come to the realization that this bird is an oddity that will never lay an egg, and somehow you got her...about 2 weeks after that she will lay.

I am estimating 4-6 more weeks. Does she squat for you? Or for a rooster, if so - about two weeks after that. About a month after they redden up hard. FOREVER if you are waiting.

About the time, you have given up all hope, come to the realization that this bird is an oddity that will never lay an egg, and somehow you got her...about 2 weeks after that she will lay.
Mrs. K, you are truly a wealth of information. A good dose of patience is required to be a chicken grower. Waiting for your chickens to lay their first eggs can be excruciating.

She does not squat for me or a rooster. She’s very cautious of us & will run away (comes with the breed). Once we catch her she’s relatively docile & enjoys pets on her head. And we don’t have a rooster. I was hoping she would start at 16 weeks as online sources say anconas lay at 16 weeks but she’s a red Australian Ancona so maybe there’s some other genetics at play?

I was hoping she would start at 16 weeks as online sources say anconas lay at 16 weeks but she’s a red Australian Ancona so maybe there’s some other genetics at play?
16 weeks is the very earliest you could expect a bird to lay regardless of breed. That might be the breed standard, but every bird is an individual and their onset of laying can vary wildly, by months sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom