Does she look OK?

Keets n chicks

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2020
She looks very bloated to me. When I let them out of the run she went under a tree cart and just laid there. I wasn't sure if she was trying to lay an egg. my flock just started laying about 2 weeks ago. but not all of the chickens are laying yet. I am getting 4 eggs from six chickens a day.

this is the first time I have had chickens.

thanks.

Attachments

• Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    829.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Unknown-2.jpeg
    Unknown-2.jpeg
    937.5 KB · Views: 13
In the photos, your hen appears alert and normal. However, there must be something about her behavior that seems "off" to you. Can you articulate it?

What is your location, climate, current weather?

It also helps to pick up a chicken you have concerns about and examine her head to toe, literally. Look for swelling and discharge around the face, beak, ears, eyes. Look for swelling between the legs. Look for discharge from the vent, watery mucous. Look for parasites around the vent.

Move down to the legs and feet. Look for swelling, any discoloration, scabs or other injuries, leg scales that may be lifting away up. Look for broken toenails or splinters in the toes. Check the feet, top and bottom for injuries or scabs.

what is Ascites? I will check her out. Don't know if I would know if there is swelling as these are the first chickens I have had. I guess I can compare her to another. I also found an egg in the run that had a soft shell, almost like a balloon instead of a hard shell???

what is Ascites? I will check her out. Don't know if I would know if there is swelling as these are the first chickens I have had. I guess I can compare her to another. I also found an egg in the run that had a soft shell, almost like a balloon instead of a hard shell???

You will recognise if that's the case. It was my first hen too and I felt the belly was softer than normal. But don't worry, this may not necessarily be the case.

In the photos, your hen appears alert and normal. However, there must be something about her behavior that seems "off" to you. Can you articulate it?

What is your location, climate, current weather?

It also helps to pick up a chicken you have concerns about and examine her head to toe, literally. Look for swelling and discharge around the face, beak, ears, eyes. Look for swelling between the legs. Look for discharge from the vent, watery mucous. Look for parasites around the vent.

Move down to the legs and feet. Look for swelling, any discoloration, scabs or other injuries, leg scales that may be lifting away up. Look for broken toenails or splinters in the toes. Check the feet, top and bottom for injuries or scabs.

We are in NJ, She seemed healthy otherwise. it's getting cooler at nights. 40s. I will check her out. I let them out every afternoon for an hour to run around. Normally they are all over the place. she just went off by herself and wanted so sit under a tree cart. I thought she might be laying an egg. She just looked swollen. but I also noticed that they seem to bulk up in the crop when I let them out because they go wild on the grass, clovers and bugs so maybe she just ate too much?

Back
Top Bottom