Does she need a new mate?

BrandySC

Songster
May 22, 2020
I got a male and female khaki campbell as hatchlings, they were never apart. Now almost a year later I fear a predator got the male. He's been missing two days. We have several birds that flock together (chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys), the pair of ducks were always with our pair of geese. Now I wonder if the hen khaki needs a new mate? She is still hanging with the geese and does not act heartbroken, but I don't want her lonely. Is she ok or does she need someone of her own?

And if so, suggestions for introductions, since she was raised with the last one and bonded from hatching? Should I get her a baby and let her raise him? Or get her an adult? Thank you.

Attachments

• 10FB8302-ECC5-4370-9055-B7EABE57B886.jpeg
    10FB8302-ECC5-4370-9055-B7EABE57B886.jpeg
    785.8 KB · Views: 12
I'm very sorry for your, and her, loss.

Personally I would get her more duck friends. The other birds don't speak duck. But that's your choice - if she seems happy maybe she is. I think it's hard to tell with birds. They are very different from us and hide things well.

I would get her two adult female friends and introduce them slowly by the look but no touch method. Male ducks often need 4-5 female ducks to spread out the love and prevent overmating, which can cause serious injury or even death to the females. Some drakes are gentlemen, and more are not.

Good luck!

I'm very sorry for your, and her, loss.

Personally I would get her more duck friends. The other birds don't speak duck. But that's your choice - if she seems happy maybe she is. I think it's hard to tell with birds. They are very different from us and hide things well.

I would get her two adult female friends and introduce them slowly by the look but no touch method. Male ducks often need 4-5 female ducks to spread out the love and prevent overmating, which can cause serious injury or even death to the females. Some drakes are gentlemen, and more are not.

Good luck!
:goodpost:
I agree!

Back
Top Bottom