Does the color of the walls affect the chickens?

If they're likely to feel crowded or otherwise grumpy, and the coop is already pretty light and bright (lots of windows, located in full sun), and you live somewhere with decent daylength in winter, I think a reasonable case can be made for at least a medium color rather than white.

OTOH if your chickens have plenty of room and no elevated risks for picking, and/or the coop is in a part shaded area or has not got all the window area in the world, and/or you have really short winter days and care about winter egg production but don't want to run a lightbulb, then you are probably better off with white or near-white.

I am not aware of any research on how color affects chicken behavior. I do not think that painting the walls red would be at all similar to having a red lamp running, or red lenses ont he chickens eyes -- the red lamp etc work because a) they make overall light dimmer, and b) they make wounds look black rather than attractively bloody red. But, I don't know anyone with a red-painted coop interior to test the theory either
tongue.png

Frankly I think whatever you can get from the mistint box, or someone's basement, is your best bet. There are lots more important things to worry about, that are well documented to affect chicken behavior (like giving them extra room), I wouldn't get hung up on decor
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I'm actually going to forgo painting at this time and put up a shower curtain behind the roostsand attach with nails. My husband did not know if the chickens would throw poop on the wall or not. I am going to the $ store and find a colorful one and when it get dirty, I'll throw away.

Yes, they will poop on the walls....

Do chickens like certain colors? Who knows. I went with light blue. It makes me smile. Celery green would be pretty too.

Tealady, paint that coop a color that will make you happy. The chickens will be happy just to have a lovely little house. But if you like spending time in there, or are proud to show it off, then even better. BTW, painting the walls and the floor with an exterior semi-gloss will pay off in spades when it comes time to clean -- poo simply wipes off. No scraping necessary. You'll thank yourself later for taking the time now.

Don't forget to prime well first. This is very important!

Enjoy the process!

I had figured semi-gloss at the very least, over primer with a mildew-cide just to be safe. The floor will be vinyl.

I'm feeling a little out of practice with the faux finishing and so I'm actually considering doing something silly with glazes in there. As a bonus, the glazes are pretty scrubbable. It will depend on how much of a delay we're looking at getting the roof on. If it's going to be open to the sky for a week or two after the inside sheathing is up I can get silly. If the only thing keeping us from moving in is waiting for the paint to cure, I'll just paint. Someday when I'm learning to do lime plaster, I might plaster inside a coop. Zero VOC, regulates temp and humidity, and it just does not support mold. Essentially what you have with lime plaster is a limestone facing on your wall. It would be perfect for chickens!

There will be LOTS of light & ventilation in this coop, and probably access to the run 24/7. I can hardly wait!! If we weren't putting chickens in it, it would be a dandy artists' studio or home office.

Back
Top Bottom