Does the color of the walls affect the chickens?

TeaLady

Chirping
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Issaquah
I'll be painting the inside of a new coop soon. Are there colors that make the chickens more peaceful & happy? I know colors affect people's moods but I don't know whether chickens are affected. I'm thinking greens & blues.

I thought about this too. I thought of peaceful blues and greens but ended up with a very pale golden peach to add a sense of warmth in the winter. It is still light enough to be bright. Let us know what you decide.

I'm so thrilled to discover I'm not the only one that thinks of the chickens! Some friends of mine think I am bonkers!
lol.png

If I were to paint the inside of a coop, I'd go with a darker color myself, although I usually go with bright colors for workshops and storage rooms. Dimmer light seems to help keep the chickens calm. Dimming the light is one remedy to discourage the start of cannibalism. I think the bright light makes it easier for them to see defects or spots to peck at.

Purely personal opinion. Whatever you do will probably workout fine.

Good Luck!!

I understand chickens do see in color, but I sure hope they aren't affected by what is painted in the coop or I am in trouble. Here is my daughter's mural in the coop.
20741_100_1919.jpg

My son calls it "Chicken Nightmares."

Mine is painted a pinkish tan color on the inside, but only because it was left from a different project. I have not noticed any bad behaviors like pecking going on. A darker color would help to camouflage any mess that gets on the walls.

I think with people light blues are greens are used for calming.

Have fun deciding!

Hmmm. The dark color thing is interesting. I'd been thinking "light and bright" because we need to supplement the daylight hours for so much of the year here, but I guess it would still register as daylight even if the coop is painted "shady corner of the forest" dark.

I'd wondered about red. I know there is a lot less pecking in the brooder if I use a red lamp instead of a clear one. There's a question of how much red Ib could take, though.
lol.png

Any more ideas? I'd like to get lots of opinions on this. Thanks, everyone

i painted mine with some leftover semi gloss. it's a color called "Apricot" by Glidden. haven't heard any complaints.

White. Plain white will do.
Anything else is all you. Your chickens won't care.

It keeps it bright inside and you can spot 'funkiness' sooner.

If you know how to make whitewash, thats recommended as it has antibacterial qualities.

Back
Top Bottom