Does the death of a pet chicken ever get 'easier' do deal with.

tropicalpalmtree

Hatching
Mar 5, 2022
We're going through an awful patch with our small flock lately, 2 have died recently and one is displaying the same symptoms as the other two, in seemingly mysterious/coincidental circumstances.

Back in september 2020 we rescued 4 intensive farming hens (two white leghorn, two isa brown type breeds). Little did we know what a huge impact they would have on us and our household. They are/were part of the family and we would have them wandering around the house all the time. We lost a white leghorn in october last year which was incredibly painful and upsetting.

Starting a month ago we lost our other white leghorn henrietta. Again it was extremely sad but we hoped our other two (being they were extremely active and happy) would not bare us any heartbreak. Literally the day after losing henrietta, our hen 'marge' started to slowly go the same way. Very lethargic, eventually we had to force feed her but to no avail. We thought maybe she was going through bereavement because her and henrietta were close in the flock but despite trips to the vets and finding nothing out of the ordinary but a 'hard lump', she died last week. We saw her go from happy chicken to unable to walk over about 10 days and it was just utterly heartbreaking and depressing, we put it down to them being battery hens and having a usual life span of about 3 years (they are 3 now). Now our last chicken of the original flock is going the same way, lethargic and wont eat or drink but is keeping her eyes open atleast. There is just a seriously dark cloud in our house right now, i think about them all a lot and we do get really upset about it, especially my mum.

We are getting 4 more rescues in the rehoming in april. We know its for the best and that whatever happens, they will have a happy life with us and our garden, the others definitely liked it. Can anyone chime in if you become hardened to losing the chickens? It's a little frightening having gone through this. The way we have reacted feels like no different than losing a dog, and to lose 2 hens weeks after one another and our last of the flock also looking ill is really horrible.

:welcome The sad thing is that high production birds which rescues generally are have a limited lifespan. It's great that you can give them the chance to live like 'real chickens'. Use that knowledge to lessen the pain of their deaths.

It's just strange how quickly they have turned and such a shock. The white leghorns were poorly quite a lot, but the isa browns were very hardy and never got sick up until now. It's just awful and so hard to deal with :( i'm praying we can nurse our last isa brown back to health

Hi I feel your pain
We lost Vera on Tuesday and she was part of family
Really upset still and so Is Edna our only other hen left
Have to go back to work tomorrow after being allowed some time off
Hope it helps to take my mind off it
Take care

I’m so sorry. It never gets easy, but I would say it’s gets a bit easier after you go through it so many times. I actually lost a Silkie yesterday due to a broken neck. It always breaks my heart, but I know it’s in their best interest to put them down.

Back
Top Bottom