Does the oil from poison ivy plant adhere to chicken feathers?

LarryBird

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013
I've been very concerned about our chickens going into the poison ivy that surrounds our house, as everyone in our family reacts to it, and the kids are constantly picking the chickens up. So far, my oldest is the only one to show a reaction. I wondered if she got it some other way, since the younger two kids, who handle the birds more, haven't reacted (so far). Even my husband, who reacts severely, shows no signs of it, so far.
In short, I wondered if the oils from the plant won't stick to chicken feathers/legs/feet.

YES IT DOES!!!!!!! TWICE!!!!! Have been a victim of it. Got a stone wall covered with it and the girls mill around down by it. Took a while to figure how I got it where I did. On my mid torso on my left side and on the inside of my left upper arm. You would think I would learn not to pick them up without a shirt on,geeezzzzz......

We've gotten it from the dog too. Was hoping maybe feathers were different. Oh well, wishful thinking...
Thanks for your replies!

So far our chickens have not strayed out to the few patches of poison oak on our property. My husband also gets poison oak/ivy severely, tecnu poison oak and ivy cleaner has been a life saver for him.

We finally picked up some Tecnu after my son developed poison ivy on his arms and face. Since then, when the kids come in, they wash with soap and water, then with Tecnu.

We finally picked up some Tecnu after my son developed poison ivy on his arms and face. Since then, when the kids come in, they wash with soap and water, then with Tecnu.

That Technu stuff really works well, for me anyway. Bought the combo kit with the wash and ivy dry. Within about 4 days it was not gone but well past the miserable stage. For me it is a 10 day to 2 week gig when I get it.

OMGads yes it does. Just went on prednisone for the second time this year for poison ivy. I try to remember to scrub my hands after putting up the peeps, but have forgotten a few times and every time I'm itching the next day
hmm.png

don't pet the chickens..don't pet the chickens...

Maybe I just need a lifetime supply of latex gloves

YES IT DOES!!!!!!! TWICE!!!!! Have been a victim of it. Got a stone wall covered with it and the girls mill around down by it. Took a while to figure how I got it where I did. On my mid torso on my left side and on the inside of my left upper arm. You would think I would learn not to pick them up without a shirt on,geeezzzzz......
Same thing happened to me! I was treating the girls for worms so handling them a lot. Kept getting a rash! Finally found som Sumac right near there afternoon shady hang out!

Back
Top Bottom