Does the Roo not stay with your hens

Weiden Farm

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 7, 2011
I have seen some posts where people are buiulding little coops for their "Roo". I assume a "Roo" is a Rooster, and why would you keep him seperate. I plan on adding a Rooster - but was planning on housing him with the rest of the flock.

I undertand the issue with the flock growing quickly - but any other reasons?

some of my roosters can not stay with my hens in the breeding pens simply cus they are aggressive breeders, other keep them apart so they will not damage the feathers of hens that will be showing , if you do not have a rooster that is a overly aggressive breeder or you dont show you will be fine

Hi from Ga. I've been lucky seeing as how I keep 1 roo with the hens and haven't had many problems . Some times I have to remove a hen thats getting peck badly. But not very often.
big_smile.png

I "had" (the key word) a Black Copper Maran rooster that would qualify as a over aggressive breeder. He killed one of my best hens on Wednesday afternoon then turned on me. After I kicked him out of the coop he went on the lam for 2 days in the woods. I finally caught up with him this afternoon and he is now in the crock pot. I'll be building some special housing for my other two roos as they come of age. They will never be housed in general population like ol' chicken dinner was. So yes, little roo houses ain't a bad idea in my opinion.

I now keep my roos separate from the girls just to give them a break. The boys get afternoons outside with the girls. Doesn't seem to matter how many hens I have, a couple of hens are the favorite and they get abused if the roos are with them full time. I also keep the roos separate because I intend to do specific breeding down the road so I need to know whose doing who.
tongue.png
The boys don't seem to mind. FAR less fighting. The ladies seem happier this way. I'm happier.

I recently added a FROG (For Roosters Only Grotto) or as I refer to it, a Roo-Cave for my three roosters to live in. I let them free range in the daytime, but the hens stay in the run. I have a small flock and when I initially got my chickens, I thought I had 6 hens. Then one day, there was a crow. A few days layter there was another crow with a different sound. I had two roosters. I left them in with the girls and all was weel till everyone got a little older. My dominate roo (a BO) was mating with the hens and the girls didn't mind, but whe the other roo (a RIR) wanted to mate the answer was NO! He was very frustrated and became too aggressive, so both boys were moved out of the coop. A couple weeks later there was another crow again with a slightly different sound. I was feeding the chickens before leaving for work and the my other RIR crowed right in front of me. He was out of the coop tat day. The other boys established his third place position in the pecking order and again all is well. I got four more blacl Orpingtons and now have 9 hens and 3 roosters. One rooster in woth the girls would probably be good, three is not, but the separation means we can keep all the chcikens peacefully.

My roos all stay with their flocks because IMO that's where they naturally belong. I did recently attempt to move a young cockerel to another coop to replace his dad who had to be put down for health reasons, but it didn't work. No matter how long I kept him locked up in the new coop he went back to his old flock the first chance he got. Too bad for him. Because of his large size it meant that he couldn't stay on this farm.

My roos have always been with their hens doing what roos do best, providing and protecting them.

Last edited:
I have only one roo who is active right now... He's king. But when the other roo's come of age, they will be put in with their own kind... The silkies that is. Lucky for me, I have a little coop for them when that time comes, only cuz my little silkie hens are only about 2 pounds, and I don't want Mr. Fluffers on them. He's about 8 pounds... SO, they will still free range, but not together. Lucky for me also that I have enough yard to make seperate area for not so free, free ranging.. LOL

I had thought about keeping them separate unless I was after chickies, but I wasn't sure you could do that. Thanks for asking and thanks for all the responses! It's just like parenting, no 2 people are going to do it exactly the same way for the same reasons!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom