Does the weather effect......

jarcoo0153

Songster
9 Years
Mar 13, 2010
Levelland, Texas
My question is can the weather or time of year effect the gender of the chicks that you hatch out? Or is it still a 50/50 chance? Does the roosters tend to produce more of one sex at certain times?

No it won't that is perhaps another ole wives tale. Gender can only be made naturaly at the time of conception. if weather was an indicator the hatcheries would have been all over that decades ago and there would be no need to include unwanted roosters in as packing peanuts, or as the hatcheries say............. rare breed selection LOL yeah right.

We've hatched thousands of chicks year around... It makes no differance what time of year you breed as far as sex.

Hatches anytime of year can be skewed, but if you average them out it's going to be close to 50/50. The longer period of time you average and the more chicks you count, the closer it gets.

Well over the last three years That I have hatched out chicks, I always end up with far more roosters than hens. The first time I got 3 roosters, the second time I got six roosters. The third time two roosters and a hen and the forth time six roosters and a hen. So I was just wondering?

In very small breedings it can work out that way. The smaller amount of chicks you hatch, the greater the odds of getting skewed results.

Last year I was "brooder culling" alot, so didn't keep as good of records on sex, but the two years before I averaged hatching 1500 chicks total each year at 47% pullets / 53% cockrels and the other year averaged 52% pullets / 48% cockrels. In two years I hatched roughly 3,000 birds with a total of 1% more male birds.

Back
Top Bottom