Does the yolk move when candling?

If you are talking about a yolk moving around to reposition to the very top of the egg, yes, the yolk moves. When the developing chick gets large enough, that will also start to move, about day 10ish if you have a good light to see them. Before that, such as day 5-10, you may be able to see a twitching of the embryo on the yolk in the center of the veins.

Quitter or not, any yolk movement reaction to your movement of the egg will happen as yolks float (due to lipid content in the yolk vs albumen).

Quote:
Exactly what I meant! LOL Thank you!
smile.png

Yes! Just got my eggs, I'm a first timer. I was trying to look for detached air cells but I saw (I think) the yolk moving around every time I moved the egg around! Practice, I guess! Thanks!

It has now been almost 10 years since the original post and this post has helped me! I candled for the first time at Day 4 because the built in thermometer and one I bought are reading two different temperatures but both hygrometers are reading the exact same. I checked for growth on just one egg and saw tiny veins developing but the egg yolk would move up or down depending on how I was holding it. I placed it back and will not be checking the rest until Day 8 (or probably until Day 18 as someone suggested).

Quote:

Okay, I was under the impression that if you didn't candle once a week and toss what wasn't growing they might blow in your incubator! lol I'll just leave them til day 18 from now on!
They won't blow if they aren't bad. You can tell bad eggs by the smell.
Eggs that aren't growing bad bacteria can stay in an incubator for months till all the moisture therein evaporates.

Back
Top Bottom