Does the yolk move when candling?

blaundee

Songster
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
My dumb question of the day- when candling eggs, does the yolk move around as you move the egg? Where should the yolk BE in the egg?

I put the eggs in the bator on the morning of the 11th, I had it steady at 99.5 for a day before putting the eggs in and they were room temp when I set them. However, the temp dropped from me opening it to set the eggs, and then it stayed in the mid 80's until my hubby turned it up to 99.5 that afternoon- since then, they have been 99.5 steady.

I have never candled until tonight, and don't know anyone who can show me what I'm looking for... Most of the eggs are brown, and I THINK I see a blood ring in them, over the yolk like pictured in the sticky thread about candling. In the White shelled eggs, I'm pretty sure I see the blood ring. However, since the yolk moves as I turn the egg, and is near the top of the egg whichever way I turn it, I'm confused- I've never even candled an unfertilized egg! LOL I have only used a broody- so much easier! lol

I know it is fun to candle the eggs as they grow but I never candle mine until day 18. I put them in the incubator and go on about life. On day 18 I can candle them with a nice LED flashlight in a semi dark room and if the inside is very dark I set it in the hatcher. I get some that are partially developed or clear but at day 18 it is so obvious what has matured and what needs to be tossed that it makes my life simpler.

I hatch approximately 30-60 chicks a week.
Try to hang in there and not candle until 18 and you will probably get better hatches.

It has now been almost 10 years since the original post and this post has helped me! I candled for the first time at Day 4 because the built in thermometer and one I bought are reading two different temperatures but both hygrometers are reading the exact same. I checked for growth on just one egg and saw tiny veins developing but the egg yolk would move up or down depending on how I was holding it. I placed it back and will not be checking the rest until Day 8 (or probably until Day 18 as someone suggested).

Quote:
I've had plenty of experience with rotten eggs, lol and DON'T need that in my house!!!!!

One of my friends asked me "How do you know if there are chicks in the eggs?" She'd found a partially hatched nest that the hen had just left, and wanted to know which ones to toss in the trash and which to take in the house and let hatch out- I told her to lightly tap on them and the chicks that were about to hatch would peep at her- she held one to her ear and AS SOON as it touched her ear, it BLEW!!! She had rotten egg all over her face, IN her ear, OMG it was ridiculously FUNNY!!! I thought she knew to check to see if they were rotten befroe checking for chicks... RFLOL

If you are talking about a yolk moving around to reposition to the very top of the egg, yes, the yolk moves. When the developing chick gets large enough, that will also start to move, about day 10ish if you have a good light to see them. Before that, such as day 5-10, you may be able to see a twitching of the embryo on the yolk in the center of the veins.

Quitter or not, any yolk movement reaction to your movement of the egg will happen as yolks float (due to lipid content in the yolk vs albumen).

Back
Top Bottom