Does there need to be a ladder up to the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chick on a stick, May 5, 2011.

1. chick on a stick

chick on a stick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    I keep telling my dh that he needs to build a ladder going into the coop. He thinks the chickens will be fine without one and can just fly up to the opening.

2. Quote:Some chickens can fly more than others. They really do need a ladder, afaik.

3. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Mine can do both with my coop. Go up the ladder OR fly up. Three choose to fly, but my black australorp much prefers the ladder. It's always nice to have choices [​IMG]

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    No. For one thing, most peoples' popdoors are no more than a few feet off the ground -- pretty much ALL chickens can hop 18" easily, and fly twice that easily (except silkies or CornishX) as long as they have an ample 'landing pad'.

Personally I think the ramp thing is more tradition than necessity, in most cases. And if you do need some kind of aid for the chickens, one or more "stepstool" type structures work just as well as a ramp.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

How high up is the opening? What is the size of the pop door opening? What are the breeds you have?

6. chick on a stick

chick on a stick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    The coop has not been built yet. Just the outside walls, fencing and roof of the run area. Dh is out of town for a few weeks and will build the coop when he gets back. I would imagine the opening will be about 18" off the ground, 10" wide, and 12" tall. We have Australorps, production reds, new hampshires, a golden comet, california whites, and ee's.

7. Doopy

Doopy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I agree with Pat. A ladder is something that PEOPLE want and not so much what chickens want. I have had chickens for 16 years and have never had a ladder. My ladies hop in and out with no hesitation whatsoever. The bottom of my door is about 14" above the ground. I'm sure a ladder or a one-step landing would be good if the bottom of the door is 36" or more above the ground. But your chickens will greatly benefit from some "forced" exercise every day. Remember we are humans and tend to do things the fat and lazy way - the animal world does not benefit from our ways.

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I raised my biddy's in their coop from one week old. I added this ladder to the roost so the biddy's could climb up onto the roost at an early age. They are now grown & some still use it. It's your call >[​IMG]

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I don't look at exercise or other things mentioned here. No chicken, even silkies, are going to have a problem hopping/flapping to up to an 18" elevation. But when flapping (either for lift or balance), most chickens wingspan is fairly wide. They are trying to hit a 10" wide target area (a pop door opening). So keep that in mind. If you don't want a ladder, have them try it...a step or chicken plank can always be added if there are issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by