Does this chick look normal or is something really wrong here?

Was the skin red like that before? Is it feeling any different to the touch? Honestly and unfortunately, it looks just like the chick I mentioned that I had a while back. Still, I hope I'm wrong here

Do you have a food scale that you can weigh it and another on? If Mine, I would weigh it and a similar-sized one daily to make sure they were both gaining about the same amount of weight.

Chicks should make daily gains, so as long as they are acting normal and making good gains, I don't worry.

Was the skin red like that before? Is it feeling any different to the touch? Honestly and unfortunately, it looks just like the chick I mentioned that I had a while back. Still, I hope I'm wrong here
I only have one picture of her after she arrived but I don’t see the redness in that one. It looks like her skin is getting stretched too quickly. Not loss of down but it’s spread out because of the (assumed) hernia.

Do you have a food scale that you can weigh it and another on? If Mine, I would weigh it and a similar-sized one daily to make sure they were both gaining about the same amount of weight.

Chicks should make daily gains, so as long as they are acting normal and making good gains, I don't worry.
I don’t but might can find one tomorrow. She definitely isn’t growing like the others

I only have one picture of her after she arrived but I don’t see the redness in that one. It looks like her skin is getting stretched too quickly. Not loss of down but it’s spread out because of the (assumed) hernia.
I meant differences from whenever you first noticed it. My apologies for not being more clear 😊 Sure is an adorable chick ❤️

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul..., “Mushy Chick,” Disease, Yolk Sac Infection)

Just in case, here's some reading on what my chick had. I purchased her at a little over a week old. I believe she was around 3 weeks old whenever I lost her. I didn't try any treatments because her naval was closed and I just thought she was different looking and maybe her hatchmate was a huge cockerel. She acted normal until the day I lost her. Even if your chick has the same, some survive. Please keep us updated. Hopefully it's nothing and she'll live a long, happy and healthy life 💜

From the last picture it looks (possibly) like a pretty serious hernia. Likely intestines or organs sitting in a pocket underneath. I'd definitely go to an avian vet for this one.

Edit to add: It could also be an infection as others stated or a abscess, but I would avoid messing with it in case there's anything important inside.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom