Does this chick need help?????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tara7815, May 7, 2011.

1. tara7815

tara7815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Today is day 21 for my Quail d'Anvers.
    Last night 3 hatched.
    This morning one started but I don't see much progress.
    She cracked a good piece of shell off but the membrane is still there.
    Her beak is peaking through and I saw movement - but it has been quite a while.

I have a still air Little Giant
    temp is a steady 100, humidity is a steady 65%

Here is a picture. I am sorry about the poor quality but there is no way I'm opening this incubator until I have to.

Oh - and one other question - I noticed when #1 hatched she had quite a bit of yolk still in the shell. She seems fine - but should I be worried about her? (not that I can tell her from the other 2 at this point)
    [​IMG]

2. tara7815

Aug 29, 2009
    I should add that we have 8 more waiting to hatch?

3. tara7815

Aug 29, 2009
    I'm getting worried.
    I know the biggest rule of thumb is DON'T help. I read all the stuff in the sticky thread - but I'm still unsure.

I'd say she's been working for almost 10 hours. with little to know progress.

4. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    I always give the chick 24 hours. If in the last 12 hours it has made no progress, I help it.

5. tara7815

Aug 29, 2009
    My new concern is the 3 that are in there keep pecking at it because they see his beak moving around.
    Are they going to hurt her?
    i thought at first they were helping but they are just pecking near her beak.

6. TayFray!

TayFray! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Vienna, Maine
    i would try and help her, they can drown in their own eggs, and since they are a small breed, they sometimes need help. what I would do is try and not hurt her, but help just a little at a time, and dont leave the top off the encubator for a long time.

7. tara7815

Aug 29, 2009
    Well,
    I gave some assistance following the detailed instructions that I've read on here.
    Is it possible that she was too big? I don't know if it makes sense but she is pretty big and she had no wiggle room at all in there. The membrane wasn't stuck to her it was just tough.

she busted out pretty quickly once I peeped all the way around and loosened the hole in the membrane closest to her beak.

She did appear to still have some yolk she didn't fully absorb.

We put her on a paper towel with the bottom piece of the shell and she's in there with a few more eggs (today is day 21 so I'm hopeful - the incubator was only opened for about 30 seconds and the humidity only dropped a few points but went right back up in seconds.) But since we had it open we grabbed the chicks that hatched in the middle of the night last night. I think they would have just beat her up in there so we've moved them to the brooder.

I'm really not holding out much hope for this girl. She's pretty weak and I think her feet are curled.. I can't quite tell for sure. she's beautiful though (and did I mention.. BIG?)

[​IMG]

8. starchick2

starchick2 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    I just hatched my first chicks with my students. Some of their feet were curled. Why does this happen? Does it correct itself?

9. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Quote:Give that chick some time. I had one that had one foot that looked really curled. Once she rested up....and they do have to rest when they have taken a long time to get out....she just might surprise you. I can't tell which one of mine it is now. And for the other poster......yes, there are ways to help fix it....you can make it a little flat shoe if it has to have it. Search on here for chicke with curled toes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by