Does this coop have enough room?

dancingmama

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 17, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
OK, we got our Coop! Great find on Craig's List. Here it is (I'm gonna try again to post a pic):

47294_img_0804.jpg

47294_img_0799.jpg

In case that didn't work... it's an A-frame tractor. Upstairs is said to have 12 sf of roosting and nesting space. Downstairs is 16 sf.

I was planning on getting 3 chicks to raise into hens. I'd be happy with two, also. But if something happened to one of them, I'd hate to just have one lonely chicken. So my question is.... will 3 hens be happy in here? Some days they'll get to be out in the yard, but not necessarily every day (and not when we are away). And some days just for the evening hours, after work.

I want happy chickens! So.... what should I do? 2 chicks or 3?

Thanks wise chicken people!

3 hens should be fine in that tractor.... It's a nice looking piece of work. Get the type of feed & water containers that can be hung from a hook in walls... keeps litter & poop out and a lot less messy.

Good luck with your new hens.
big_smile.png

I agree. The rule of thumb for coops is @ 4 sq ft/hen. So 12 sq ft enclosed is just right. Usually they say @ 6 sq ft/hen in the run, but if you move your tractor around so they have new stuff to scratch, and they get to go out once in awhile, I think they will be just fine.

(Cute little girls - they come with the coop?
wink.png
)

Thanks, guys! I was hoping three would be happy. I know the "recommended square feet," but I don't know where those numbers come from, so I wanted to see what people here who have actually done this before thought!

And yeah, the girls are cute eh? I wonder if the hens will become "the girls." Might get confusing
tongue.png

Oh... I just added to my profile that I live in Michigan. So cold winters. Does that change opinions? Do the chickens come out enough in the winter?

Thanks again
smile.png

Honestly I don't think it's big enough for 3 large fowl hens......bantams maybe. I wouldn't put more than two in it and then only if they had planty of free range time. It's a cute coop, but just not big enough.

Back
Top Bottom