Does this coop need a floor?

fat brown hen

Songster
Jun 12, 2022
I want to build a raised coop for a grow-out pen, and plan to do something like this:

Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 8.03.54 PM.png

It's a 4x4 coop inside a 4x8 tractor. Dumb question, but does the 4x4 coop really need a floor? My plan is to keep the rest of the build the same, but have a gaping void where the floor is supposed to be, so their droppings fall onto the grass below. The only reason I can think of to have the floor is if chickens will be bothered by the wind blowing beneath their toes. Am I missing anything?

I want to build a raised coop for a grow-out pen, and plan to do something like this:

View attachment 3717004

It's a 4x4 coop inside a 4x8 tractor. Dumb question, but does the 4x4 coop really need a floor? My plan is to keep the rest of the build the same, but have a gaping void where the floor is supposed to be, so their droppings fall onto the grass below. The only reason I can think of to have the floor is if chickens will be bothered by the wind blowing beneath their toes. Am I missing anything?
As long as your climate isn’t too cold it should be fine, as long as you can access and clean the poop. Only thing is the eggs. Most people put their egg boxes in the coop, but if you can figure something out for that should be fine.

For me it provides security.
The run is not completely secure.
I had an possum dig under the fence before.

The other thing was that when one hen went broody and was allowed to hatch the eggs, she slept in the corner with the chicks.
She did not go back to the roosting bar for about 8 weeks.
After she did, some of the chicks still stayed on the floor, other followed mom.

Not sure how long you plan on keeping chicks/a hen in a set up like this, but the reality is unless the holes in the floor are decently large, poop will not fall through. You'll end up having to scrape it out anyhow. But if the holes are too large you're risking little chick feet slipping through and possibly getting hurt in the openings.

Also depending on your climate (you don't specify) it might be too chilly for young chicks if cold air is coming up through the floor.

What would be easier IMO in terms of clean up is to have the coop at ground level without a floor, and then just pick up the unit and move it to a clean patch to leave the poop behind. My in-run brooder works that way - as it has no floor I simply move it every 2 weeks when we have chicks.

Not sure how long you plan on keeping chicks/a hen in a set up like this, but the reality is unless the holes in the floor are decently large, poop will not fall through. You'll end up having to scrape it out anyhow. But if the holes are too large you're risking little chick feet slipping through and possibly getting hurt in the openings.

Also depending on your climate (you don't specify) it might be too chilly for young chicks if cold air is coming up through the floor.

What would be easier IMO in terms of clean up is to have the coop at ground level without a floor, and then just pick up the unit and move it to a clean patch to leave the poop behind. My in-run brooder works that way - as it has no floor I simply move it every 2 weeks when we have chicks.
Right, that's what I meant. The coop is basically at ground level (but with hardware cloth "walls" at the bottom). Solid walls up top to block the wind. I live in a mild desert climate. These will be fully feathered chicks from 6 weeks to point of lay.

Right, that's what I meant. The coop is basically at ground level (but with hardware cloth "walls" at the bottom). Solid walls up top to block the wind. I live in a mild desert climate. These will be fully feathered chicks from 6 weeks to point of lay.
Sounds like cold wouldn't be an issue then due to age of birds and climate.

The illustration shows an elevated coop and you also said it was coop was raised so not sure if we're on the same page?

This is my brooder. The entire unit sits directly on the ground, so no floor needed and no clean outs needed:
brood2.jpg

brood3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom