Does this cross make sense? (BO & BR)

That's something I'll keep in mind. I have a NH red rooster, and about 13 hens that I may try crossing in if I'm not happy with the egg production.

An NH male will work as well as an RIR male for producing BSLs (both will be a better laying cross than a BO x BR). Just ask the hatcheries who breed BSLs.

... in short the Boys will look more BO in type and the pullets will lay more like BR than BO ...
That's exactly what I was aiming for.

Then if I'm not happy with the egg production, I could take one of the hens and put it under a NH red rooster, to try to get some faster laying genes, maybe at the expense of a little body shape loss?

An NH male will work as well as an RIR male for producing BSLs.

I think you just saved the life of my NH red rooster. I was planning on culling him once my BO rooster was breeding. Now it seems I have a reason to keep both.

That's exactly what I was aiming for.

Then if I'm not happy with the egg production, I could take one of the hens and put it under a NH red rooster, to try to get some faster laying genes, maybe at the expense of a little body shape loss?
yes, thats correct, you will be gain egg production thru heterosis but some of the size will be lost

You might want to breed some both ways. NH x BR for superior egg production and BO x BR for slightly more meat production.

As much as I like experimenting, this might make the most sense. Then I could cross the resulting hen under the opposite rooster and see which order works out better in the balance.

The F1's would be sex-linked, I know. If I crossed them back under a solid rooster, would they still be sex-linked?

Back
Top Bottom