Does this D-activated animal sterol mean the feed is not vegetarian?

Bartlett Farms

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 3, 2010
I understand that chickens are omnivores and will eat anything they can catch. I sell me eggs to several markets that cater to vegetarians. they have asked that I not give a feed that has animal protein. So my question is D-activated animal sterol mean this feed contains animal protein. thanks.

Did a google search and found this but don't know if the source is accurate or even reliable.
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/agriculture/forums/sustainable-agriculture/msg02590.html

but I thought you may find it at least a start to help you search

http://www.tailblazerspets.com/ingredients/d_activated_animal_sterol.html
also here

it appears to be vitamin D3 from animal origin????

Sorry I don't know but thought these links may help.

I used to be a vegetarian- tell them that vitamin deficiencies in chickens are NOT pretty and they need their vitamins.

You don't want to reject a feed for vitamin sources- they will be eating bugs and worms anyway as you mentioned.

Last edited:
This nutritional chemistry is way above my pay grade, but it would appear that your customers are not unlike others who have been heavily influenced by the marketing being pushed at consumers everywhere that they are buying chicken or eggs that have been fed a vegetarian diet. Chicken feed makers are following suit and proudly marketing and labeling their feed as vegetarian.

The chicken, as you stated, is an omnivore and needs a balanced diet of building blocks of vitamins, minerals, fats, proteins, amino acids and many feed makers are reportedly using "synthetic" elements. I suspect that some of those synthetic elements are still derived from animal sources.

But the bottom line is that preventing the chicken from eating bugs, worms, grasshoppers, insects, amphibians, reptiles and andy other animal meat they possibly can find goes against one of the main objectives of a chicken's life.

I'm sorry not to be able to provide more guidance, but whenever we have this conversation with our customers we are kind and polite but if we fail to instruct them on how a chicken actually lives and what they actually need to be healthy, then sometimes, we just lose a customer. We live with that. I really cannot guarantee a vegetarian diet. The egg is a "animal" type product of bio, of animal life. This is a really tough area and I feel for your consternation. Best regards.

Last edited:
"I not give a feed that has animal protein."

I think their concern is the KIND of animal protein in the feed. Because feed manufacturers have used sick animals, we are concerned about Mad cow and the like. Folks just don't trust feed manufacturers. Considering the recall of pet foods I can understand why. Ever wonder what happens to all those roo chicks that hatch?

Vegetarians and Vegans are two different things. We have friends who are Vegans and Vegetarians.

Vegans do not eat any animal protein. However be aware that there are vegetables that have protein. So we don't need to eat meat to get our protein. Vegans as far as I know do not eat eggs. Soybeans, beans, peas and artichokes all have protein. I'm sure there are others.

So I suspect your friends being Vegetarians are just concerned with what the manufacturers put in the feed in the way of protein.

Personally I am too, but not ignorant enough to think my chickens won't eat mice or frogs or snakes or whatever they find on their own. I certainly don't go around looking for animals to avoid this.

What to do? You can , buy feed without animal by products or protein and give your chickens protein by another source and explain that your chickens will eat what they find, but leave out mice and frogs and such.

I do know this. I have a friend who buys my egg because they are the only ones he can eat and not get sick. Even Egglands Best makes him sick.

Farm raised and Pasture fed are tops according to Cooks Country.

Last edited:
In 1999, Pennsylvania pastured poultry producer Barb Gorski used a grant from the USDA’s Sustainable Ag. Research and Education program to have meat and eggs from her won birds and those of two other farmers tested for a range of nutritional factors.

The pastured eggs were found to contain 10 percent less fat, 34 percent less cholesterol, 40 percent more vitamin A and four times as much omega - 3 fatty acids compared to the standard values reported by the USDA for commercial eggs.

Numerous studies suggest that diets high in omaga - 3’s can help protect against heart disease, mitigate the effect of Type II diabetes and benefit the humans body’s immune responses.)

The pastured chickens meat (with skin on) contained 21 percent less fat, 30 percent less saturated fat and 50 percent more vitamin A than the USDA standard.

Back
Top Bottom