Does this egg/chick need help?

catsndogs4us

Songster
7 Years
May 3, 2016
9 of 12 eggs hatched normally through the day starting very early this morning. This one seems to have zipped oddly and is chirping quite a lot. I've gently moistened the membrane because it looked a bit dry and the chick is peeping a lot. It did this circular zip on the underside of the egg so I didn't notice it at all until I took the chicks out that had already hatched and dried off. I didn't think it had pipped at all. Incubator Nurture Right 360, humidity 72 (dropped to 50's while I quickly took out 9 chicks). I'd really value opinions.
20230516_175232.jpg

Hello!

The chick broke away all of that shell? Or did someone break it away for it?

What day of incubation is it?

If it has truly started zipping and isn’t just doing a second or third pip, I think it would be safe to help it out, but be extra careful and stop immediately if you see any blood. If it zipped in a little circle on one side of the egg, it seems to me like that would mean that it’s malpositioned and may not make it anyway.

Today is day 21, well day 0 since the Nurture Right counts down. There is certainly a possibility that the other chicks caused this since I was at work during a lot of the hatching. I never saw a pip at all earlier in the day just found it like this a short while ago when I took out the 9 fluffy chicks. I don't want to keep opening the incubator but will try to look more closely. I do get a feeling the chick might be malpositioned. This is a particularly round egg as opposed to oval, I don't know if that makes a difference. One of our hens tend to lay this shape egg. I've hatched several time in this incubator and haven't come across this issue before so of course I'm worried.

So far what you did was the best for now. This is just an overly thick membrane that this little one is trying to get out of.

The humidity will drop to the ambient humidity in the room where it is, almost instantly when you remove the top. Think of removing the lid on a steaming pot of soup. The steam, in this case would be your precious humidity.

There is a chance that opening the lid causes the membrane to harden a bit, but she isn't shrink wrapped. Moistening it at the pip was a good move, but I'm not sure I'd open the lid again. Maybe try to increase humidity a bit.

In terms of helping, to each their own. I don't help anymore, ever. I've had maybe a 50/50 success rate, but the failures are too much for me to handle. The last time I did, I had 2 chicks, both in the same scenario, and I helped one and it died as a result, and left the other alone who hatched just fine. Now I just let God decide who hatches and who doesn't

Like I said, it may work or it may not.

Today is day 21, well day 0 since the Nurture Right counts down. There is certainly a possibility that the other chicks caused this since I was at work during a lot of the hatching. I never saw a pip at all earlier in the day just found it like this a short while ago when I took out the 9 fluffy chicks. I don't want to keep opening the incubator but will try to look more closely. I do get a feeling the chick might be malpositioned. This is a particularly round egg as opposed to oval, I don't know if that makes a difference. One of our hens tend to lay this shape egg. I've hatched several time in this incubator and haven't come across this issue before so of course I'm worried.
They say the membrane begins to harden within 30 seconds of exposure.

I'll give it some time, since the chick is peeping a lot I assume it still has energy and isn't worn out yet. It's just odd how the shell is missing in a circle. I didn't take off the lid just lifted it because I thought we were at a safe point and then noticed this egg, with 9 wiggly, active chicks I guess I missed this until the chicks were out. Hatching is fun but there is so much stress too!

I'll give it some time, since the chick is peeping a lot I assume it still has energy and isn't worn out yet. It's just odd how the shell is missing in a circle. I didn't take off the lid just lifted it because I thought we were at a safe point and then noticed this egg, with 9 wiggly, active chicks I guess I missed this until the chicks were out. Hatching is fun but there is so much stress too!
Way too much stress! I watched my wife birth 5 sons and none of which crippled me with stress like hatch day 😂🤣

For peace of mind, we have seen some miraculous hatches. Like where an egg will appear to be in distress, then it just blows out of the egg like hulk through cement.

Praying for this chick!

One strong chick is free of her/his egg now! I did have to assist after reading through the article. When I got up this morning s/he was still looking about the same as last night but quieter and another chick had hatched in the night. I slowly did the assist and a very feisty chick tried to help. After looking at the whole situation, as best as I can tell the chick pipped internal and external at the same time having missed the air cell (which looked small). I think s/he was malpositioned. The chick was trying to kick more of the membrane and shell off rather than peck and definitely helped with the assist by pushing! It was scary and nerve wracking but also interesting. Thanks for being a support with ideas.

Attachments

• 20230517_051739.jpg
    20230517_051739.jpg
    634 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230517_051815.jpg
    20230517_051815.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230517_051844.jpg
    20230517_051844.jpg
    622.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230517_052353.jpg
    20230517_052353.jpg