Does this girl need a nail trim?

ChasingChooks

Songster
Jan 28, 2024
Hi everyone!

Am I correct in thinking that my girl needs a pedicure? She is a 4 year-old Leghorn, and never been trimmed.

And can I use regular nail clippers? Never had to do this before. I know to keep cornstarch on hand if it starts bleeding, and to not cut into the quick.

Hope this picture is okay. Had to hold her in one arm and snap a pic with the other. I'm sure we've all been there! :)

Thanks in advance!

1711990588939.png

Does she have good dirt to dust bath in and scratch around? At that length, I do start considering a nail trim, but it's not urgent yet. When she stands on a hard, flat surface, does the end of her toe still touch the ground? If so, I probably wouldn't bother clipping yet.

To trim, you can use nail clippers (toe nail clippers are stronger). Some use cat nail clippers, but because they're meant for a round nail, it could accidentally split the nail. (Whatever clippers you use, make sure they're sharp!) When trimming, be very careful to not accidentally cut into the quick. If you do, try to stop the bleeding before returning her to the coop. Some use flour (there's a specific powder that's supposed to work, but I forget what it's called). I typically will use a paper towel or cloth to hold onto it until it stops as it typically doesn't bleed too long, unless you went deep.
If you can't get her nail down to the length you wanted it on the first trim, trim her nail again in a week or two. Providing her with plenty of gravel or dirt will help keep her nails down naturally.

Thanks for responding! No, I don't have a dust bath, but I do let them out on sunny days. They scratch around and dust-bathe in the dirt.

Yes, the end of her nail touches the ground. It looks like she has a little bit of trouble scratching - it's starting to curl.

I've been wondering about this for a while, so I don't think it has been urgent.

Okay, sounds good! I'll likely sharpen up some nail clippers and try to trim them this week.

My two year old buff orpingtons nails need to be trimmed hers were long.
I would start trimming your hens nails.

I use dog nail clippers

Back
Top Bottom