Does this hen sound broody to you? *Day 21 - There's a baby!!! Pics*

It does not sound to me as if she is broody yet, only thinking about it. A hen will lay anywhere from three to a dozen eggs before finally setting them. A hen that is not broody will sometimes sit at the nesting site for an hour or two before finally laying an egg. Some hens in the process of laying will puff out and protest when disturbed, whether they are broody or not. If you have been regularly removing her eggs up until now, she may decide not to set on them, but may resume laying. She can go either way. I have two hens right now that are NOT setting on eggs or have chicks but they have been putting on the broody hen act for at LEAST a month now. SOME hens never go broody at all while others are undecided. I have a Wyandotte hen who is six years old and has only been broody twice in her life, though had plenty of opportunities to go broody. A full broody will also begin to cluck. OTOH, some really tame broody hens will not puff out or protest at all when disturbed. I have had a few Silkie hens who allowed me to check on their eggs and chicks with no reaction at all. They knew I was no threat to them.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to candle again today, but if I don't see any veining, should I try with new eggs?

I just went out with a blanket and a flashlight and candled the three original eggs. In two of them I see nothing - but in the third I see a little glob and I think I saw at least one vein. Is this an embryo? If so, I'm so excited!
celebrate.gif
Would it be possible for her to hatch chicks if she wasn't broody, do you think? I mean, do you think she's just sitting in there and they're staying warm? Or do you think she wouldn't stay on them enough for them to develop?

Oh, I'm excited!
wee.gif

I candled tonight - I now have seven eggs under her.
tongue.png
She's laid four of them. I numbered them today so I can pull out any more that she lays so I don't end up with two dozen chicks - although they would be SOOOOO cute! I just don't want to get too many to handle.

One of them is most definitely developing - I can see a little dark spot (the eye) and it wiggles around.
celebrate.gif
Another of them, one that she laid, looks like it's developing, too. One of the originals looks clear, and the other original is 1/2 to 2/3 dark and - is it possible that the yolk membrane ruptured? It doesn't roll around like the usual fresh yolks do. It just stays in one spot. If the egg was older, I might think it was the chick itself, but it's only day 7.

Only 14 more days for the first one. Will the hen keep sitting on the other eggs that are a few days younger after the first hatches?

The last couple days she's gotten puffed up when I open the kennel. She'd stopped doing it, but now she's doing it again. She growls and puffs up all her feathers. Good mama!
love.gif

Last edited:
Day 14 and going strong! Only one or two of the eggs didn't start developing. I saw movement in several of them yesterday.
celebrate.gif
She hasn't laid an egg in over a week, and she rarely gets up. A couple times I have taken her off and she soon goes back and settles down again. She gets off so seldom she has pooped a couple times in the nest.
sickbyc.gif
I think she did eat yesterday, and maybe she's eating a little when I'm not around (though yesterday was the first big poo in a few days), but she doesn't seem too interested in leaving her eggs to eat. Excellent, but do you think she'll hurt herself?

One thing I'm a bit concerned about is that the four eggs she laid are younger than the original three (or two, as one doesn't look to be developing - I don't know whether to toss it or not. It doesn't smell horrible. ???). The last one is four to six days younger than the originals. If I keep her in the kennel for the first week or so (or later), will she sit on the eggs with the hatched chicks long enough for all of them to hatch? I don't have an incubator, so I can't pull them to hatch myself.

Day 17! Only a few more days!!! I'm so excited. Would it be okay to candle one last time today to rule out any bum eggs? Yesterday I took one egg out and cracked it, as it didn't look very promising inside.
sickbyc.gif
Stinky! I'm not sure it was ever even fertilized. It didn't smell too bad from the outside, but the inside sure smelled!

Quote:
Good luck! I would certainly candle the eggs one last time. Remove any that you're absolutely positive are dead. Leave the rest and then sit on your hands! That's the hardest part. Let us know and post some pictures!

Dan

Day 18! I'm getting really excited. I didn't candle last night as it was debatable whether or not we were going to go under a tornado warning.
smile.png
So I guess we'll just see how it goes. I'm getting worried about the younger eggs, though. Do you think she'll sit on them enough if she can't leave the kennel? Or should I shut her and the chicks in the back so she's rather forced to be on the nest?

Here's a pic of Mrs. Parr, as we've dubbed her. (The rooster's name is Mr. Incredible.
tongue.png
)

28038_100_1070.jpg

Back
Top Bottom