Does this look safe? Any flaws that you can see so I can fix them!

That top latch can be people proof. :gig
But, if not done right it will slip out. When I had a prefab, I added an additional bolt latch to secure the door as I figured claws could get into the crevices and pull the door open if an animal was inclined to do so.
I also added eye screw hooks and carabiners to the doors with the latch bolts - my husband said it was overkill. I don't know it never got tested out. We now have a built coop.

I have that same coop and I like it. I do agree with all the modifications recommended here though. The hardware cloth is just stapled on the inside and needs to be re-inforced with wood strips and screws.It is light enough to be pushed over so it needs to be braced so that can't happen. I don't close the vents and leave the pop door open for ventilation too, however I don't get snow here so I don't know how that would effect the need for more. With the poop tray, however, it is easy to clean daily, so no ammonia buildup happens. The slide locks are not raccoon proof, IMO, and I recommend another type such as safety hasp with a keyed lock on it. The lock on the nest box is a bit of a puzzle, so I've left that as is, so far so good, but after hearing about the raccoon that figured out the combination lock, now I'm wondering. 3 hens is the max for this coop, and only if they get along really good. I am building a slightly bigger and sturdier coop for my 3 girls, as they have some issues. I did take out the second roost, as I found that poop was landing on the entrance to the nest box. 2 years into this coop. Keeping it, as I'm toying with getting Seramas and I think it would be good for a couple of hens, with an extended run.

I have these latches all over various coops and other cages and have never seen a Raccoon operate them. If they can operate these latches, I don't understand why they don't just open my back door and come in and help themselves to the food in the fridge.

It could happen.

And just cause he is funny!!

ETA..... The he I found funny was the man not the critters. ;)

Seriously, like they could understand him. :lau

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom