Does this mean i need more boxes??

It IS what they do, but if they're using all 4 you might want to try adding 1 or 2. I wouldnt run out and build/buy new ones, but a milk crate or even a cardboard box sitting in the corner may take some of the pressure off. They may all decide they want to use the cardboard box. Never try and figure out what a chicken will do. :lau

It IS what they do, but if they're using all 4 you might want to try adding 1 or 2. I wouldnt run out and build/buy new ones, but a milk crate or even a cardboard box sitting in the corner may take some of the pressure off. They may all decide they want to use the cardboard box. Never try and figure out what a chicken will do. :lau
I am figuring on adding an old dog house (3'x3') to the run with bedding in it. I am gonna cut out the back so it has two openings, and it'll be easier to get eggs, but this will give them another option if they wish to use it. Otherwise itll a fun place to hang out!

ETA it will likely also double a a broody space (with modifications) for when we let once stay broody!

I have a spot also kinda like that....they haven't found it yet 🤞🤞🤞
Fingers crossed! They are smart little critters.
Mine is not so easy to get to. I have to stoop and kinda contort to get in there. I intended to use it to store the chick brooding kit. Oh well, at least I know where to look for eggs and it's easy for my son to reach. That gives me a reason to give him the chore of egg gathering.

Hey everyone! My girls are laying on top of each other!!! Like legit sitting in the same box and laying at the same time...
I have 19 girls 4 boxes. Likely wouldn't hurt to add another huh?or is this just what they do?

Ps. Thankful that they are least keeping all the eggs in the boxes 🤣🤣
In my experience, it's what some just like to do. I have 6 boxes and 4 hens. Three of the hens prefer the same box and will cram themselves into it together. The 4th hen uses the other 5 boxes randomly.

I agree 100% with those saying it doesn't matter how many boxes your have, they'll pick one or two favorites and ignore the rest. It's just like roosting space. They all pile up on one end and squeeze underneath each other to be the one that gets to sit against the wall.

Back
Top Bottom