Does this mean im good?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by SilkieChickenLover336, Mar 20, 2011.

1. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    out of my 14 years of chick hatching and raising i never had to cull or had a chick die on me. is that good? i have no clue!!!!!! im pretty sure it is!!! yea it is!!! yay me!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] you can tell i like smileys!!

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    [​IMG]

3. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    Well I must say you ROCK. Very good, I have culled many in my 30 years. I started raising chicks when I was ten. Just the other day I must say I did have a couple that was strange. One was missing an eye and blind in the other. Another chick was blind in both eyes with a crossed beak I have never seen this before. The only thing I could think that might have caused it was a change in the humidity. [​IMG]

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:I had odd things like this crop up and it ended up being a ventilation/oxygen issue! Too little of both...hope this helps you too!

5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Lucky you...I've had 3 die on me for different reasons...one was totally my fault... [​IMG]

6. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

Quote:I had odd things like this crop up and it ended up being a ventilation/oxygen issue! Too little of both...hope this helps you too!

Thank you.​

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I've never had to cull any of my own chicks. Had to cull one from the feed store last year though. That was hard. [​IMG]
    Some EE eggs I got from a friend had suspected genetic issues (several died in shell around day 18) and one of those chicks up and died on me in less than 24 hours after hatch [​IMG] so it happens. His brother is my best roo right now though, and the chicks from him are hardy - his hens are a totally different breed, so it probably cancels out the previous genetic issue. I don't think either of us (me or the hen's owner) ever set any more of their eggs because of the issues from that particular flock.

I think it means you are lucky, coz stuff happens even when we can't control it.

8. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    I dont know why tho!!! cause every hatch the temp will sky rocket. it will got up 110!!! and yet i still get 50%-90%

9. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    yes, it means you are good!!!!! A very good chicken substitute mama.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by