1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does this mean she is broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lindz, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Lindz

Lindz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    One of my hens likes to sit on her eggs. She will lay them, and then sit there for a few hours then leave the egg for me to collect. She pecks at you if you try to move her. Ask my 5 year old, hes been pecked a few times from her. Shes sweet up untill she lays that egg. So does that mean she is broody? Or just likes to sit?

Here is her just now I saw the egg under her so I know is there, but she wont get off it.

[​IMG]

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    How to check for Broody-ness:

Yep, broody
    Growling--check, Clucking---check (bock,bock), Puffs up feathers---check, Stink eye---check, Pecks the h*** out of me.

[​IMG]

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Broody is when they always sit on the eggs day in and day out, maybe 5 minutes or so to eat alittle and bathroom break. I have a hen that when she lays a egg she may lay for a couple hours to take a nap but she is not broody [​IMG]

4. chickiepie

chickiepie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    [​IMG]

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    You know she's broody when you lift her out of the nest (in your hen's case with elbow length leather gloves) and set her on the ground and she just sets there with her feathers puffed out and clucking. Also, when she stays on the nest overnight for two or three nights in a row. This is what I look for. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by