Does this mean she is broody?

Lindz

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 8, 2011
Eastern Iowa
One of my hens likes to sit on her eggs. She will lay them, and then sit there for a few hours then leave the egg for me to collect. She pecks at you if you try to move her. Ask my 5 year old, hes been pecked a few times from her. Shes sweet up untill she lays that egg. So does that mean she is broody? Or just likes to sit?

Here is her just now I saw the egg under her so I know is there, but she wont get off it.

100_5064.jpg

How to check for Broody-ness:

Yep, broody
Growling--check, Clucking---check (bock,bock), Puffs up feathers---check, Stink eye---check, Pecks the h*** out of me.

36435_hatchjune14c.jpg

Broody is when they always sit on the eggs day in and day out, maybe 5 minutes or so to eat alittle and bathroom break. I have a hen that when she lays a egg she may lay for a couple hours to take a nap but she is not broody
D.gif

You know she's broody when you lift her out of the nest (in your hen's case with elbow length leather gloves) and set her on the ground and she just sets there with her feathers puffed out and clucking. Also, when she stays on the nest overnight for two or three nights in a row. This is what I look for.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom