does this mean they will start laying soon?

aran

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 28, 2007
rochester ny
I have noticed that several of my birds have had noticable growth and colouration changes in their combs over the last couple of weeks. I have just started them on a mix of layer and starter/grower and also some oyster shell. They are about 16 weeks old or there abouts.

Havent really noticed anything else though. What does it all mean?

Nice to see you posting again aran, hope everthing is well with you. I think your's are getting close, one of mine started this week, they are almost 19 weeks. I noticed their coloration turning red and the one got very loud and would start squatting as well.

My little Silkie roo has started picking fights with the lead hen (an Americauna). If he's getting feisty does that mean the girls are getting closer?

Possible but I find silkie roo's who have their vision just like to pick fights... even with shoes, bushes, and low growing plants....

What now plant!!! Wanna fight!!! Then gets knocked down by plant because feathered foot gets stuck between branches.

He hasn't been that spastic. In fact, he targets the lead hen and ONLY the lead hen. He'll mantle up if any others charge him though. But he only charges the top hen.

Also, he's making louder noises than the others but it isn't crowing. It's more like a gargled clucking noise. Bizarre.

Ok so if I want my girls to start laying do I get them layer feed? They are on grower started mixed with free ranging and scratch.

A couple of mine have started making the "announcement" call, so am thinking we will soon find our first egg. They are 18 weeks old today - seems like the Ancona's are the ones doing most of the announcing, but hopefully the Buff Orps, Golden Campines and our bantee, Garnet, will soon catch up. I haven't noticed any in the nesting boxes yet, but they have been on laying feed for a few weeks and free range. My husband, daughter and I always try to be the first to check the nests in the morning
D.gif

I hope its OK if I chime in here with a quick question but it fits. I switched my girls to layer feed already - well I have been mixing it with the last bit of the other feed I had to get them used to it for about the last two weeks. They will be 16 weeks on Monday. Did I start them way too soon? I am just soooo excited. I can't wait for those eggs. I have 8 hens and I have noticed on two of them their combs have grown quite a bit this last week but I haven't noticed a big color change. Also they have been checking out the nesting boxes. I have seen feathers and other evidence in there but no eggs!

I don't ever feed mine layer feed until they lay their first egg. I've always heard all the extra calcium can harm the chicken if she is not old enough.

Back
Top Bottom