Does this need covered in wire?

jennyp0208

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 20, 2013

We're about to move our coop outside and I started worrying about these vent openings under the edge of the roof. They're 2" wide by the length of the section (3ft, 3ft, and 4ft) on both sides. Do they need covered with something? We have spare 1/2" hardwire cloth but it would be a pain to cut these tiny strips. But of course, we want whats best for the chickens. Thoughts?

I get paranoid by that kind of thing, too. I think it depends how close to the exposed area is to the chickens when they sleep. If its within reach of them on the roost and you have the possibility of raccoons, you may want to cover it. If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

Yup, raccoons can reach through a gap that size. Weasels can get in through a gap that large, too. I would definitely add 1/2" hardware cloth over those, if it was my coop.

I'd use a 2x4 to make putting the bend in it easier, after you cut it, since it needs to be attached to the wall and the roof.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Yes, it's right beside the roost in the coop - you can see the end of the roost in the top picture. Do you think it would be ok to just do the coop, or does the run (2nd picture) need covered too? I talked to my husband and he'd already decided to do the coop section at least but was still undecided about the run.

Word of advice, cover it all now and save yourself some sleepless nights. I still wake up to crazy dreams about predators in my coop. Ever seen a garter snake the size of an anaconda? LOL

Back
Top Bottom