Does this "Nite Guard" actually work?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Clarks Chickens, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Clarks Chickens

Clarks Chickens Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2015
    I saw an advertisement in my chicken magazine about the Nite Guard. It's main purpose is to simulate the red eye of a real nasty predator like a coyote, sending clueless, moronic animals back to their dens[​IMG] Fact is, I can't tell whether or not it works without trying it myself. Does this thing actually work or should I just install lamps instead?

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    I've never owned one, but had considered them at one point. When doing research I came across a user review on Amazon that had a photo of a raccoon basically looking the Nightguard right in the "eyes" from about 2 inches away while testing the guy's chicken coop fencing.

You'll see opposite reviews stating that they're either complete garbage or a must have item. I passed on them personally - I figured it was one of those things that 'worked' until it didn't... Your mileage may vary.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  3. Clarks Chickens

Clarks Chickens Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2015
    Well, that's a happy load of crud. The website for that thing had a trillion reviews that were apparently fake. "It will scare the wits out of guys like this gleeful raccoon LOOKING AT IT FROM A CENTIMETER AWAY."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by