Does this pullet have Marek's?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flockoffour, Nov 3, 2016.

1. flockoffour

flockoffour Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    West Coast
    She is about 7 weeks old and is normal weight, looks healthy, is eating and drinking, however she has trouble walking. It seems like a strength issue to me, as she can still move her legs fairly well, and can walk almost completely normally when I use vet wrap to tape them so she can brace against it when she walks. Without the tape she lays down most of the time and has trouble moving her hocks up above the ground/ her feet and the part of her leg up to her hocks sit on the ground when she moves.

Any thoughts on what might be the cause? Could this be a result of poor footing or overcrowding?

Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Try giving her some chick vitamins including riboflavin. If it is riboflavin deficiency, giving vitamins early can help treat it. Riboflavin deficiency can cause walking on hocks and curled toe paralysis. I hope it is a deficiency and that helps her.

3. flockoffour

flockoffour Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    West Coast
    Thank you for the advice, I will definitely look into that and see how it goes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by