Does this = turning???

Clay In Iowa

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Near Wilton Iowa
I recently had a Humidaire incubator fall into my lap. I've been playing with it so that once I get eggs I should know what I'm doing.

The incubator has an auto turner. It starts in the horizontal position and ever hour "turns". What it does is tilt about 30 degrees 'back' and then returns to horizontal over about a 30 second time period. One hour later it "turns" from horizontal 'forward' and returns to horizontal. I was under the impression you should tilt the eggs and leave them there, then tilt the other way etc....

My question is this. Does this constitute "turning"????

I can probably adjust the mechanism to tilt and stay there. Not sure I should tough.

Hmmm...I do know most turners should slowly move eggs from about a 45 degree angle one way to the other in 4 hours or so, but I'm not sure
idunno.gif
smile.png

Yes, that is considered turning.

Remember that the reason to "turn" eggs is to excercise the embryo and keep it from sticking to the shell, so it doesn't take much to accomplish that.

I am fairly new to hatcing and have a GQF turner in my incubator. It rotates side to side every couple of hours, there is a setting where it is horizontal goes to side and back. Are you sure there is not another setting? My switch is up off, center horizontal, and down full rotation. I would however trust Rooster Red as he indicates that they are fine in the one position as long as they move once per hour.

I am very jealous of your incubator by the way the wood work is just beautiful. I am fully considering building an incubator out of some very nice wood so that it has the look of a piece of furniture instead of so untilitarian.

Good luck with it . I am curious to know if the turner has this additional setting.

Take care

Quote:
GH it doesn't have another setting. It either on or off.

After doing what I thought was a ton of research this took me by surprise. I was under the impression that the eggs needed to be turned and left at an angel. Not tilted and brought back to horizontal. But it makes sense. I'm sure a siting hen just jostles the eggs around every now and then. As long as they are moved occasionally I'm sure they'll be fine.

I feel very fortunate to have been in the right place at the right time. I was about to buy a Hoabator 1588. This saved me some money so now I can get more eggs... right?
lol.png

In the spring I'll be posting pictures of my eggs and babies so I'll let you all know how the bator works.

Clay

Many of the more expensive incubators do not tilt the eggs. In the Top Hatch and Tx-6 eggs lay flat and the turner is simply a wheel that bumps against the egg and makes them move. They rarely make a full rotation. Like memtioned the hen does not have an x or o to make sure they make a complete rotation, they just get moved around. I think you incubator is designed to work just right. Let us know how it turns out for you.

Back
Top Bottom