Does this white stripe mean anything?

OldDominion309

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2018
Chesapeake, VA
I bought my 3 ducklings from TSC out of the "mixed breeds" bin. One of them is a white pekin and the other two are Rouens (I think, feel free to correct me). Anyways, one of the alleged Rouens has developed a white stripe around its neck. Is this an indicator of anything, like being male or female, or does it just mean that there is a white stripe on this ones neck? (This pic is a week old but the stripe has gotten more pronounced since.)
1d.jpg

I bought my 3 ducklings from TSC out of the "mixed breeds" bin. One of them is a white pekin and the other two are Rouens (I think, feel free to correct me). Anyways, one of the alleged Rouens has developed a white stripe around its neck. Is this an indicator of anything, like being male or female, or does it just mean that there is a white stripe on this ones neck? (This pic is a week old but the stripe has gotten more pronounced since.)
View attachment 1322805
I don't know the answer but that duckling is awfully cute and had something to say.

If it was older I would say it means it is a male. But with its age his adult feathers have not started developing yet. It could be just a genetic marker of some kind. It could also be a male that has its juvenile feathers turning white for the white ring a male has.

If it was older I would say it means it is a male. But with its age his adult feathers have not started developing yet. It could be just a genetic marker of some kind. It could also be a male that has its juvenile feathers turning white for the white ring a male has.
I was thinking along these lines as well. Hoping someone had seen it before.

Neck rings won't show white in drakes until nuptial plumage. Juvenile plumage has no neck ring. My guess is a fault in plumage OR juvenile feathering making the hood look like a neck ring before more feathering occurs. This is no indication of sex, etc..
That’s kind of what I figured...thanks everyone for the input. Here’s a new pic for your viewing pleasure.
188B8C3F-16BC-42AF-BF10-FFB847E2B73A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom