Does this work?

Very nice! I would say it will work. As for how many, that is a personal preference. Some will say 2 sq foot per large bird and others will say 4 sq foot per large bird. Given that I would say between 6 and 12. Where are you located? The fact that everything is under cover they can really be any where and be safe. The only issue is if you have really cold winters and they all need to get in the coop, then that may be an issue.

I would think they will really like underneath the coop also. In fact they may decide to lay eggs under there. It looks cozy.

Last edited:
LOL .. well i hope i dont have to go under the coop for my eggs!!

As for weather i dont think cold would be a problem because i live in Glendale, Arizona and our winters dont get too much lower than 30 degrees

And that 6-12 really makes me happy !! I want 9 and if i decide to get a few more i can but i cant get too many because 12 is the legal limit in my area
big_smile.png

thanx for the help
big_smile.png

Lol yep i made my first one just a month ago and when i finished i decided it wont hold enough hens and i want and my girls deserve more .. so i started looking ran across this and fell in love .. but i had to modify it slightly so it would fit in my yard .. im looking forward to getting started

It looks like a wonderful design, but may not be the best type for our desert climate. Most people here in the phoenix/Glendale area opt for a more open coop (2 or 3 sided) because of the heat. I have a 5' x 7' three sided coop (one side is completely open) and the chickens are already panting in there at nighttime. It will really be hot for the hens to be laying their eggs in the indoor nestboxes.

If your chickens are not going to be free-ranging (outside the coop/run), then I think a 6' x 12' run might be too small for 12 standard size chickens. Most people here on BYC recommend about 10 sf of run space per chicken so that the chickens don't start pecking or picking at each other and 4 sf of indoor coop space. The coop/run you linked to, looks perfect for about 7 chickens.

Our run is 7 1/2' by 13' and since the coop is open, the chickens basically have a 7 1/2' by 18' area accessible to them all day. We currently have 13 hens and even though I let them out to free-range every day for about 4 hours, it didn't seem like enough room for them. We just added another run 6' x 10' run onto the first one, so that they have another 60' sf. It was either that or sell a few chickens - now I have room for 2 more
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom