Does TSC sell common breeds?

So... PICTURES!!!!!

Yes, TSC sells chicks from Hoover Hatchery. YES, TSC sells "common" breeds. While they can special order groups of 10 of some of the uncommon (but by no means rare) birds offered by Hoover, most of what you see in standard breeds at TSC will be run of the mill.

CornishX
Golden Comets
Rainbows
Brahma
Buff Orp
SL/GL Wyandotte
Rhode Island or New Hampshire Reds
Black Sex Links
Barred Rocks
ISA Browns
Easter Eggers - oh so many Easter Eggers (they may call these Ameraucana or some variation on what they are not - pure bred Araucana)

Pictures will help us to help you ID them.
Awesome reply! Thanks! I’ll get pictures up soon!

I’ve been trying to attach this video but can’t figure it out. At least not on mobile. So here’s a link to a FB post from a couple days ago. I just saw this comment on the video:

“Looks like you have 2 black australorp, a few bantam cochins, a rhode island red, an old english game bantam, and an orpington of some sort.”

Well I guess the step is to figure out what and how to get them vaccinated.
Most choose not to - which is why the vast majority of chicks for home flocks, from the vast majority of hatcheries, are not vaccinated. Its too easy (and cheap) to replace a bird. The majority of poultry vaccines out there are quite specific, appropriate only to known conditions (i.e. you know you've had Marek's on property before, and have come to accept that you will have Marek's essentially forever - so you buy chicks inoculated against Marek's with the live, attenuated virus - they can still get Mareks, it just won't kill them) or for commercial grow operation where an infection can cause a financially devastating loss of stock.

Coccidiosis is present everywhere, at least, everywhere humans have been. At this point, its part of the soil. Healthy chickens naturally develop guts to help keep it in check, but still, many owners choose medicated starter feed to help prevent their systems from being overwhelmed before they have the chance to develop that health gut. Most medicated feeds rely on Amprolium to do so, which is NOT an antibiotic, or an anti-parasitic. What it is is a thiamine antagonist, loosely a "B Blocker", so if you are offering medicated feed, don't also offer supplemental B1 vitamins. The medication "Corid" is an Amprolium solution used to treat Cocci after the fact.

I think that covers the big ones. Fowl Pox will likely happen at some point, even if you have great biosecurity - mosquitos are carrying it about from infected flocks nearby. Once present, its very difficult to get off your property, but for most varieties, mortality is very low. Avian Influenza is being carried by wild birds, too - particularly bad on the West Coast presently, but can happen anywhere - do your part, don't put a bird feeder near your run and create an attractive nuisance for wild birds. If you free range, that's a risk you take.

Newcastle has *hopefully* been eliminated again, or at least reduced to a few flocks, likely in "the Valley", CA. Again, biosecurity is your best defense.

as in life, no guarantees, just degrees of risk management, and their associated costs.

They should at least have a record of what they ordered, so you could probably call and ask what breeds they had that week.
They probably had "Bantam Assortment," which doesn't help much for identifying what breeds the 4 bantams actually are.

You could also ask what hatchery they use, and look on the hatcheries website. TSC almost always uses Hoover’s, but sometimes uses Townline.
Yes, asking what hatchery could help a bit, but the list is often pretty similar from one hatchery to another.

For example, the most common bantams would be various colors of Old English Game, Cochin, and Silkie.

Other fairly common bantams are Sebright, Japanese, Cornish, Brahma, d'Uccle, Wyandotte, maybe Easter Egger. (We don't see many Easter Egger bantams on here for identification, even though most hatcheries seem to offer them.)

Cute video! Pictures are more helpful for ID. The video is quite pixelated for me.

I see at least one black, and one red bantam Cochin. The LF black chick appears to be an Australorp. The tan-ish bantam looks like some sort of OEGB. The other could be as well. I'd need to see pics of those and the LF white-ish chick for a proper ID though. Could be a few things.

Age? I definitely can't sex from that video.

Cute video! Pictures are more helpful for ID. The video is quite pixelated for me.

I see at least one black, and one red bantam Cochin. The LF black chick appears to be an Australorp. The tan-ish bantam looks like some sort of OEGB. The other could be as well. I'd need to see pics of those and the LF white-ish chick for a proper ID though. Could be a few things.

Age? I definitely can't sex from that video.
Yeah I don’t why it uploaded so pixelated. They 5 weeks old in this video. They are currently “enjoying” the outside today. They are in my makeshift pen I made and have been huddled together since being put out there. It’s the most room they have had their whole lives and they will barley move, LOL. I’d let them roam around the backyard if I wasn’t worried about them figuring out they can fly over the privacy fence and/or a hawk or something swooping down and snatching one of them.

Back
Top Bottom