Does vaseline work to prevent frostbite on combs?

I'm not an expert by any means but my three Buff O's stayed out all last winter in thier coop with no heat (but it is draft free) and they did fine, its 9 degrees here today....

Whew! I just went out there and turned on the heat lamp for a little warmth for them. It's probably just me being a worry wart again. I just woke them all up and boy are they complaining! I have a thermometer in there, I'm curious if it'll read a little higher after the heat lamp has been on for awhile.

Our coop is old so may not be draft free but it's definitely protection for them.

Thanks for the reply! Where are you located?

Nah, that's about right, I live in Orange County, and the temp was 15 degrees in the coop - I haven't put any vaseline on their combs, since I read in the Chicken for Dummies that it doesnt' really do anything except attract dust - they seem OK without it so far and nobody is missing any body parts - yet

I've been using it and it seems to be helping. My neighbor scoffed at me and since she has an insulated coop (mine isn't) she didn't feel the need to use it. This morning when I went out to help with goats, she said "Oh, Sam's OK." ?? "He got frostbite so bad last night that his comb and one wattle split and the hens have it too though not as bad."

My hens actually are starting to look forward to it since the vaseline is warm and they get to spend a minute getting cuddled and rubbed.

Yes, the heads will be goopy and turn black from dust (scared DH, he thought it was all frostbite, but I had to show him that it was dirt and could be rubbed off) but between closing the pop door and lubing the chickens up during the day (in the teens here with an even colder windchill), mine are doing fine.

Just noticed one of our littlest pullets with what may be frostbite on the very tip of her comb. Vaseline it is on all gals. They actually were very good about it. Sooo cute! Hope it helps. How often do you do it?

Last edited:
I used Bag Balm every other day last year, and the one rooster in my one uninsulated coop still got frostbitten. It eventually fell off, but it took MONTHS - it was probably not until May that all the tips finally fell off, and I had to separate him because the girls were pecking at it.

u know what's sad? I used to like the snow and cold and now all I do is worry about it because of the "Ladies". When I looked at the thermometer this morning, I was out in the coop at 4:30 a.m. checking on them. Last year at this time, I'd be looking at the thermometer thinking how cool it was and how low could it go. Now I'm like WHAT? A blizzard is coming and the temps will be below freezing - YIKES! Wonder at what point might my hubby let me bring them into the basement. Just Kidding!
tongue2.gif

I have 6 Buff orps and they are ten weeks old...I don't have the heart to take them out of the garage where they have the red heat lamp on 24-7 and out of the wind. I know they are a hearty breed but I just think they are a too young yet. The hubby built a nice run and wants them to go out and thinks I am pampering them too much. I wouldn't be able to sleep thru the night if they were out in the elements...especially since it's supposed to snow over 6 inches tommorow.

Back
Top Bottom