Does Watching Chicks Help Them Get Used to Humans?

I always talk to them, pet them, but less holding them.
They are 6days old and house is around 70F, not sure I can take them out from brooder and hold them.
But they are getting used to my hand in brooder.

Washing hand is good! I always wash hand before/after chick time.
Not sure I need "before wash" but I use hand cream a lot so don't know if it's good for chicks or not...
So wash hands -> touch them - > wash hands -> hand cream - > wash hands - > touch them .....
Now my hands just look like chick's feet, LOL.

I wash my hands before and after handling; just becuse I think I should. I'm definately not a germ-a-phobe either.

I think consistency is important when taming any animal. Our routine starts by me speaking softly before I open the door to their room, then my collie stickes her head in the brooder (to make sure everything's OK), I stick my hand in while talking softly, let them get on my hand, pick up one at a time, let them relax in my hand, then put them down and pick up another one. I haven't given them any treats yet and while I'm holding one, others try to jump up to me. I think they just like being held. I know that some on this forum say that chickens don't really love you, but I think mine do...

Back
Top Bottom