Does what they eat change the flavor of the eggs? Raspberries

cruelshoes

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 3, 2007
Washington State
I made seedless raspberry jam this weekend, and have lots of raspberry seeds/pulp left over. I know how much the chickens love our raspberries, so I decided to give them some. I put some of the pulp and seeds in a bowl and put in the coop. They didn't just like it - they loved it. There was much jostling for position, and they as much as licked the bowl clean. I have about 20 more cups of the stuff (I made a lot of jam
lol.png
).

If I continue giving this to them, will it change the flavor of their eggs? I don't want lots of raspberry flavored eggs. How much can I safely give to them at a time? I haven't been measuring it, but I guess I have been giving them about 1/2 cup at a time, and I sprinkle it with crushed egg shells for calcium. We have 6 hens.

I know they love it, but I want to make sure it is OK for them in such quantities. I know my kids would love to eat froot loops 3 meals a day, but that doesn'e make it a good idea, right?
roll.png

Thanks for any opinions.

I can't see any reason at all not to give it to them. My girls have had tons of treats, fruits, veggies etc. The LOVE raspberries too. Egg flavor is yummy, tastes like egg.

I have read however if you give them alot strong things like alot of onion or garlic it can change egg flavor.

Just give them a little a day or they may get runny poos. If they do get runny -cut back. I bet they would go crazy if you mixed it with non-fat plain yougurt.
big_smile.png

if you're worried...freeze the pulp in small batches and give it to them as a treat every once in a while.

If you think they loved them now...think how much they will love them in winter....when they are always craving more greenery and fruit!

Sandra

Quote:
I think it would be cool to make flavored eggs! Just feed them bell peppers, onions, bacon... It'd be like an omelet!

I know some people feed flaxseed to chickens. I tried some freshly-ground flaxseeds on some yogurt and I thought it smelled "fishy". Wonder how much flaxseed a hen could eat before her eggs tasted fishy?

I keep garlic in their water. I promise you I have never had garlic flavored eggs, nor have any of the people I have given dozens and dozens of eggs to have never said, wow your eggs come pre-flavored with garlic
smile.png

The eggs will be fine.

What you feed them will be reflected in the color and richness of the yolk however. The more nourishment and balanced feed they recieve the darker and more flavorfull the yolks will be.

ALthough flax seed can be a good addition to your hens diet- I read somewhere that too much flax seed can actually harm birds.....I don't know how much is too much....but if your eggs taste fishy, I think you've cross the "healthy" line.

Sandra

Sorry about the confusion....I added the ground flax seeds to the yogurt for ME
smile.png
and it tasted awful!!! That's why I haven't fed my chickens flaxseed, I was afraid of fishy-tasting eggs.
Yes, I too, have read that too much flaxseed harmed chickens.

Back
Top Bottom