Does white attract predators?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FriendlyFlyer, Jul 21, 2011.

1. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    If I were to add a few white chickens (or guineas) to my flock, would they stand out to predators? I KNOW white stands out against most everything but I guess I'm not sure about predators and color vision, I'm guessing it's good, but do any of you know if having white birds attracts attention? What about birds with white patches?

2. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Yes.... they are more susceptible to birds of prey.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I don't think they attract predators more than any other chicken, no. They can be seen easier, yes, but I haven't lost any birds to predators in the almost six years I've had chickens, probably due to my fabulous roosters being on guard, in spite of free ranging in the mountains of N. GA with many types of hawks, coyotes, foxes, roaming dogs, raccoons, etc, etc. I have had Delawares and a Lt. Brahma, plus the light colored splashes as well.

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

yeah.. white birds are like strapping a big neon sign onto it.. one that advertises "free chicken dinners"

5. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I'm sure the white color stands out more. I have Rhode Island Whites, Rhode Island Reds and Isa Browns. I haven't noticed any predators attracted to the RIWs but I have an electric fenced in yard for my birds. If a predator touches the wire they don't come back to try again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by