Does ya Chickens lay in randoms

Today I found 2 eggs in the run.
Probably because the nest-boxes they usually use are occupied at the moment and closed for intruders.
Yesterday there was one under the roosts.
The 5 laying hens do have 2 other nesting boxes for several weeks now. But they still can’t figure it out.

AA7F5040-13F2-4D4F-BCAC-761C4BE1857E.jpeg

Hatching days. 3 chicks so far. Hope for a few more.

edit: removed doubled sentence

Last edited:
My Jersey Giants were very orderly in their laying habits. They all lined up to lay in their favorite box that everybody decided was their favorite box. The Nest Box Monitor kept everybody in check. Everything was orderly and neat. My Sapphire Gems, however, will lay in the box, in front of the box, on top of the box. They lay eggs at night from the roost where I find them splattered on the floor. Though they have the idea they are supposed to lay in the coop, they sometimes seem to 'forget' where the door is. They'll run about in a panic, stare at the door, run about a few more times screaming her head off as the roosters next door scream with her-maybe giving her directions on how to get in the coop. Finally, at the last minute, the hen bolts up the ramp and barges into the nest box only to get tossed out by the hen already occupying the box. She then proceeds to shriek loudly as she runs around inside the coop to lay her egg where ever. She has 15 other nest boxes to choose from. None of them will do. Let me tell you those Sapphire Gems are dingbats. Dingbats I tell you! And I guarantee if they free ranged I'd probably find eggs God knows where. I seriously doubt the Big Man above could find those eggs. Dingbats! That's all they are!:lau

Back
Top Bottom