Does your coop need light?

We're in Mi and it's dark here all the time now, LOL. I have lights on a timer in the coop, and give them what I think would be normal for a early spring or late fall day. Lights on at 7:30 am, and off at 7:00 pm. They seem to be doing well with that. with the nine hens that we have right now, we are averaging between 6 and 9 eggs a day. But, a few days ago, I had a problem with the lights, and they spent most of a day in the dark without me knowing it. When I went out to collect eggs there was only one. I took care of the problem and the lights went on, and I left them on a little longer that evening. Next morning I went out and found 4 eggs in the litter under the feeder. I think they laid them there in the dark that night, couldn't hold them any longer and might not have been able to see to get into the nest box. Anyway, now that the lights are back on track, I'm back to the regular 6-9 eggs.

BTW, Steve, I have to ask a question. Before I ask it tho, I want to make sure you hear the chuckle in my typing finger so you know I'm not trying to be a smart ***. Are you retired, or a professor or a biologist or veterinarian or librarian? How do you have time for all the research and fact finding you do? Oops, more than one question, I know, LOL. Just wondering.

Yes do leave a light on during the day if it's a dark day...good idea Curliet.

I've read that 12 to 14 hours of light a day is sufficient...would you agree?

Not being an expert on all things chicken, my answer will be strictly guesswork. but, with the chickens being animals that are used to being on a dusk to dawn kind of schedule in nature, it wouldn't seem like it would take long at all for their systems to notice that the light in the daytime is more natural and their bodies and systems would adjust pretty quickly. Again, just a guess.

Hi, I am a newbie I have been reading your answers to the lighting problem.

Please answer this if you can-I want to put in a flood light it does get warm, but it does not have a wattage on it. Is a flood light ok?
I wiull point it toward an upper corner.

Also, with no light I have not gotten an egg for about a month is that normal?
They already molted and have their feathers again...they look so purty.
Thanks

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
To my knowledge a 40 or 60 watt bulb is plenty for extra lighting. What are your reasons for putting a flood light?
Yes it's pretty normal for them to lay less in this season depending on their age of course, that's why I add new layers to my flock and have a continuous flow of eggs. (I hatch them in the late winter- early Spring) Don't they look just grand after a molting?
ya.gif
. Hope this is the info that you wanted...
smile.png

Edited to add...
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Thanks for the info.....I want to use a flood light just because I have one
smile.png
I can't seem to find anything else to fit my needs just that one.

My girls are pretty young I guess I should think about adding but I have too many eggs now (during the season) I freeze them for the cold times and that works very nicely for me. I gave away too many this past year I wont this upcoming season...

thumbsup.gif

P.S. THANKS FOR THE NICE WELCOME....
hugs.gif
produces

Last edited:
Quote:
It might be a good idea to give them the extra light only in the AM since it will be a pretty bright light. Chickens need to find their roost before full dark or they get stuck wherever they are when the lights go out at night. JMHO.

I freeze my eggs too! But sell a lot of them as well. Seems like they are more appreciated when people have to pay for them!
big_smile.png
and
hugs.gif
to you too ...You will enjoy this list group I'm sure.

Hi,
So if I can manage (I'll try harder) to get a smaller light or a regular one, I can turn it on in the evening until about 10 or 11?
Is that the way it normally works?
Whay kind of light does everyone use?
Thanks again

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I think that 10 or 11 is a little too long in the evening. As I said the longest light should be in the morning...say about 4 or 5 a.m. and the evening could be until about seven but it should be very low wattage so that they get the idea that it's darkening out...please correct me if I'm wrong about this people. They really need to find their sleepy time place in the evening. Good luck...I'm on the way to do my coop duties!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom